keeping down the size

Guest Field_of_Light

Yeh keep tipping it so it bushes out....that way your height problems will be solved and you only have to worry about the width....

You dont see many people saying it but you can trim back your plants to the right height with pruning shears or something....it might shock em for a couple of days but not much more than tipping them imo

Tipping works great, but I preffer to tie them down. I top them at around the forth node, and get two shoots going. Tie them in opposite directions, using a thick string so it doesnt cut into the plant too much. Use twisty ties perhaps to help. Dont make any knots tight around the plant! Then tie the other end either to the ground, or the base of another shrub, or even a rock that will provide enough weight to hold the tip down.

As the plant grows horizontally, the branches that would normally come sideways out, will now grow straight up. Take the growing tips of these branches, and again tie them down the same way. The branches in turn will again send up other braches skywards.

As each of the places you ties to grow, they will extend beyond the string, and try to curve upwards in a kind of U shape. Take the tops and continually tie them down as needed.

As each set of braches shoot, and reach instead of outwards, head for the sky, you tie them down. So you have branches of branches of braches...

Imagine if you let the plant grow naturally, all the side braches, and subsequent budding spots....these will all want to become the apical tip, (the top growing tip). Budding sites that would normally grow a few inches can grow several feet this way.

What you end up with is a mat of braches criss crossing the area inside the ring of bushes you have the plant hidden in. It becomes a horizontal area of heads growing upwards, just as the Screen of green concept does for indoor growing. I reckon this is where they got the SCROG idea in the first place. It's an old method practiced by growers way back in the 60s.

It isn't nearly as complicated or dramatic as I've made it sound, I should probably go to bed.

This is the way I always keep plants down if need be, and the best I've done is to have a plant about the size of a family sedan in surface area, and about 7 feet tall.

Just tipping it may give the same final weight, I really couldn't say. And you can certainly do as FOL says with the garden shears, but this way doesn't create shock like severe pruning does.

cheers

rob

gotta agree with Robbie on this one...

Personally I just bend the fukkers down & keep doing so. No rocket science just bend them down, bend them down, bend them down. Loadsa heads keep a poppin up - bend them down till ya got em how ya want them. Use a mesh & twine 'em thru it like a lattice.

Hope that helps - check my pics in indoor G13 & White Rhino at 4weeks - they are even better lookin at six + weeks now - will post a pic when I can .

Must admit I'm strictly an indoors man but don't see why the same philosophy would not apply outdoors?

: )-~

Guest Urbanhog

Some people reported that bending over/growing horizontally, yeilded few more buds than normal standard vertical growing because while the plants are growing horizontally they receive more sunlight evenly, unlike while growing plants like a christmas tree, the buds at the bottom is often smaller/lower yeild/size due lack of sunlight at the bottom, thats why they grow like a christmas tree, as the bottom branches is trying to reach for more sunlight, but while growing horizontally, its possible they receive more sunlight evenly, of course depending on the location where you planted them and the amount of the sunlight they receive.

But don't quote on me about this observation. :rolleyes: