Reasons For Noticable Diference In Plants Under Identical Conditions?

I could be stressing here, but in all honesty Im that sick of paying for shit weed and I want this grow to be f@!#ing bullet proof.

Who's with me?

Any way, I'm not sure as too why one of my plants is curling, drooping and generally not looking as healthy as the other one, as they are under apparently equal conditions...(atleast one would assume).

This is best shown in the series of pictures attached... an image showing each plant close up along with one showing them both as they sit next to each other. The zoomed out photo really emphasizes the noticeable difference in the two, where one stands quite erect and the other is droopy.

Correct me, but im assuming, because only one plant seems to be showing symptoms, it is something beyond nutrient,temperature, pH etc (global variables?).

I took the photos during 6 hours lights off using a flash, probably not the best idea im guessing, but i was impatient because again im not sure if its something effecting only one plant, which can eventually spread and contaminate the neighboring apparently healthier one.

I.e, a situation where early treatment is preferable, for example something pest or disease related. really hope its not this.

The two plants where grown from seed. The plan is to veg up for 6-8 weeks then completely clone the strong mother and start over with a series of fresh clones. ie i wont be flowering the first cycle, so am prepared to eliminate the weaker plant if necessary.

Again I really don't mind tough love if it will strengthen the final product.

Other random details summarized:

Indoor

Growing Medium: Rockwool cubes places in expanded clay

Growing Style: Hydroponic, simple bucket in bucket and nutrient reservoir recirculation system, no glue or sealant of any sort was used in this setup.

Watering/Feeding Frequency: 15 mins on/ 15 mins off (i am curious if any one experimented with anything else for expanded clay?)

Nutrient Strength (PPM/EC): 1000-1500 ppm according to fairly cheap but new dip stick thing. Using dutch fest A+B.

PH Levels: 6.2-6.5, according to cheap but new ebay pH pen. seems to be a constant need to add pH down every few days, not sure why, perhaps the rockwool cubes?

Temperature/Humidity Levels: Temperature 20-27 celcius humidity 40-60% depending on time of day, quite dry for veg am currently investigating ways to increase humidity. I was thinking just regularly using a water spray bottle? to create a mist around the plants.

Air Flow/Fans etc: simple oscillating fan setup with main door left open but with fly wire closed,this seems to suffice for now, getting proper centrifugal fan and carbon filter etc later when shit gets a bit more serious.

Lighting Type: 400W MH, plan on using higher wattage HPS later.

Growth Stage: Veg currently

Plants Age: about 3 weeks into veg. Haven't kept the best log here, too stoned.

Cannabis Strain: THC bomb feminized seeds. so im not totally sure that there females, but am pretty much sure and of course hoping so. another reason to eliminate stressed potentially male/hermaphrodite plants.

Before initial construction and plant transferal, room was cleaned and steralised with weak bleach solution, followed by a bug bomb for pest control as described in 'Prevention' pinned thread. The whole house was empty and windows left open for a few days before plants or other grow items wgere brought inside.

I am yet to attempt a water change or flush of any sort, plants have only been recently transferred from a simple fluro setup and exposed to full strength nutrients so I didnt think there was a great rush required here. When/how would this be recommended?

I apologise for the unstructured rant like nature of this thread. Im just trying to provide as much info as possible.

Thoughts?

Many thankyous

post-40420-004431100 1289810211_thumb.jpg

post-40420-075383500 1289810237_thumb.jpg

post-40420-042666400 1289810250_thumb.jpg

Edited by samthekunt

I think you are probably just worrying a bit too much. When you say recently transferred, where they repotted or just the lights changed? If they were repotted recently it is likely that it has been shocked a bit hence the drooping.

I prefer to feed my expanded clay 15 mins on 45 mins off. It all depends on your setup and plants, but I find they perform much better when allowed to dry out between feeds. As long as they are not wilting between feeds they will love it.

Naycha :peace:

Hey could be your o2 levels are you airating your nutes and from what I can see feeding anymore than every 2 hrs is not a good thing as you can drown the plant (overwater) I water every 3 hrs for 15 mins and only during the lights on period. (are the plants clones of each other or from seed stock ie bag seed?).

good luck...

Cheers everyone

Hmm.. no shit seems im watering alot more than most people. This watering scheme was recommended by my hydro store guy, who claims many of his clients even have success with 24 hr flow. weird.

I asked him about the 15 mins on 45 mins off as recommended on the packaging when i made my purchase and he claimed that this was targeted at people say living in Alaska, and didn't really apply to the Australian climate.

I guess there are more in depth variables to be considered. He may have been referring to very low flow rates or something like this which may effect over all performance...i dunno.

Either way im definitely thinking my flow scheme could be further tuned.

In regards to other things said...

02 shouldn't be a problem, i have an air stone in the nute tank, plus the trickle of other various process streams provides surface agitation.

The plants were germinated from feminized seeds. not bag seed or clones.

'Recently transferred' = hand watered seedlings in rock wool cubes under fluros transfered to expanded clay pot in pot recirculation set up under MH as in pictures.

pce