A Small Handful Of Book Recommendations...

Thought I'd kick off my visit here with a post of book recs I consider suitable for this audience.

:)

White Noise by Don DeLillo. Don't know what to say about this one. Beautiful language and countless striking observations on life and death. An odd, dark tinged read that should appeal to your most analytical side.

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse. Possibly the most classic spiritual tale of the 20th century.

also Steppenwolf by Hermann Hesse.

Electric Kool Aid Acid Test by Tom Wolfe (think this has already been recommended here, but it's one of my favourite books so I am going to put it out there again).

Anything you can get your hands on by Kurt Vonnegut Jr. Timequake is one of my favourites of his though. Humour, insight and intelligence all in the one place is what you get with Mr. Vonnegut. He was the fucking man!

The Fall by Albert Camus. The Stranger is another good one of his. If you haven't picked either of these up before, you must, there is a reason why they are considered 20th century classics. Essential existentialist reading.

The Doors of Perception/Heaven and Hell by Aldous Huxley. Essential stoner/thinker reading. I actually consider it criminal for anyone here to not have read this one. ;)

Music at Night is another one I like of Huxley's, but it may not be everyone's cup of tea.

The Green Man by Kingsley Amis is a bit of fun, ghost story surrounding an old pub. Great writer, full of dark humour.

Books of Blood by Clive Barker - simple but excellent volumes of easy to read horror. Get amongst it!

The Painted Bird by Jerzy Kosinski. This one is a bit out of place here I suppose. It's not a fun book, but it's meaningful, and the language is beautiful.

Anyway, there's a few to keep you busy. Hit me up if you're on goodreads.com. Rock on folks. :)

-Sarah

------------

And so I learned that familiar paths traced in the dusk of summer evenings may lead as well to prisons as to innocent, untroubled sleep. --Albert Camus.

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music. --Aldous Huxley.

Edited by Astronomy Domine

Definitely agree with Doors of Perception, Huxley is the man. Brave New World is incredible, my favourite book I think.

George Orwell is good too, 1984, Animal Farm and Keep The Aspidistra Flying are my favourites.

Some other books I've read and enjoyed recently are High Fidelity, The Beach and War of the Worlds.