Soil, Fertilizer

HEY FELLOW GROWERS, I HAVE SMOKED SMALL AMOUNTS ON AND OFF FOR 15 YEARS OR SO BUT IN THE LAST YEAR OR TWO I'VE BEEN LOOKING INTO THE WORK OF RICK SIMPSON. SINCE THEN I HAVE ORDERED PINEAPPLE CHUNK - A HIGH STRENGTH COUCH LOCKING INDICA (5 SEEDS) TO PRODUCE MY OWN OIL, I ALSO BOUGHT OTHER SEEDS SUCH SATIVAS/SATIVA DOMINANTS - BUT NOT TO MAKE OIL. ANYWAY I HAVE DONE A LOT OF RESEARCH AND BASICALLY AM LOOKING FORWARD TO NEXT SEASON (STARTING SPRING 2011).

HERE ARE MY QUESTIONS (THANKS IN ADVANCE).

MY QUESTIONS ARE BASICALLY TO DO WITH THE SOIL AND FERTILIZERS

I AM USING:

-100 LITRE CONTAINERS

-ORGANIC POTTING SOIL MADE FOR VEGTABLES

-ORGANIC SLOW RELEASE FERTILIZER PELLETS CONTAINING COMPOSTED CHICKEN MANURE, BLOOD AND BONE, FISH MEAL AND SEAWEED

-COW MANURE

-ORGANIC MULCH

I WILL BE CHECKING THE PH AND MOISTER OF SOIL WITH ELECTRONIC TESTERS (SPIKE TYPE ONES) AND ADDING WATER AS REQUIRED. I WILL AIM FOR AROUND 5.5-6 PH. IF THE PH IS TOO LOW I WILL SPRINKLE LIME AND WATER IN, IF IT'S TWO HIGH I WILL MIX A SMALL AMOUNT OF VINIGAR IN MY WATER.

A FEW WEEKS BEFORE HARVEST I WILL SPRINKLE POTASH TO ENHANCE THE FLOWERS.

BASICALLY I WILL BE WATERING WITHOUT THE USE OF LIQUID FERTILIZER AND RELYING ON THE SOIL ETC. ABOVE TO DO THAT JOB.

DOES THIS SOUND REASONABLE? IS THERE SOMETHING I AM WAY OFF WITH OR DOES IT BASICALLY SOUND OKAY? CHEERS!

Sounds like a good mix you have got there. I would add a few bags of perlite in just to get some good drainage. If your doing that mix, mix it and put it in its holes at least a month before you plant, when doing this add a couple of handfuls of dolomite lime into the mix and over that month it will cook and the lime will neutralise the PH.

The only time you may think about using ferts will be in flower, those will be fine in veg and in flower but you may just want that 'extra kick', I go organic as well and there are plenty of good products out there. Don't restrict yourself.

Peace

your ideas sound good to me. I think you don't have to buy exotic factory made products. just get animal manure or human manure if you're a grotty old bastard like me with a composting toilet. after human shit pig is best, then sheep/goat, but cow and horse is not so rich. I do add more manure as a top dressing and apply sulphate of potash in liquid form when flowers show. oh yeah ... and I have all this decomposed turkey nest around the place to mix the manure with. Nature Rocks!

best gear and biggest heads I ever smoked was organic grown. these guys chopped down tea trees inside a tea tree swamp and made a raft out of them. then they piled branches and stuff on top. then they added ute loads of old sheep shit and mixed rock lime into it. never had to water of course. plants grew to eight feet with ice cream cone size heads all over them. the only time in my life my vision has split into four. three channels were fantasy but up in the right hand corner was a movie of the van I was driving travelling down the road ... as I was driving down the road I was looking at me driving down the road ... guess I had 'security camera vision' ... but all in full colour!