I have to agree. Australia has some great strains. Without a doubt cannabis australis (mongyweed/Australian bastard cannabis)is the strangest I've grown. Thanks Mong :thumbsup:

:peace: 'mo

Ps...There was an interesting writeup about the Hunter River cannabis in a book called Australiana Marijuana pnkrck if you can find it, I can't remember the author atm sorry.

right on mongy man, even shantibaba says aussie weed it the best there is..

2. Shantibaba's Mullumbimby Madness:

"I was working in Australia on varieties like Mullumbimby Madness and Thai and Columbia strains of sativas, as well as a lot of original Afghan stock."

"To answer a bit about Mullumbimby Madness, well that was one of my strains that I worked on in the late 70s and early 80s when I lived in a small village called Main Arm, in between Byron Bay and Kyogle/Lizmore.There was a few legends helping out altogether and we hit something incredible.I still have that as one of the seed stocks that we grow for personal use. It basically was a 3/4 sativa, which is a huge tree and perfect to grow in that sub tropical climate of NSW north out doors.To do this strain inside you need height!!"

"I would compare it to Nevils Haze if I was asked to do so...

Also we do not get it going hermie ever so that must have been unselected seed or selfing problems. However there are a few version of the same name. I believe Wally Duck has some good versions still and is a good bloke..."

Recently Shanti has acknowledged that Cannabis cup winning El Nino (now sold as La Nina) was a mating of Mullumbimby Madness and White Widow:

"The seed I used was from original seed grown in northern NSW in the late 70s and 80s of which some referred to it as Mullumbimby Madness...what I considered a Thai Columbian inbreed line from a fellow grower who had had it growing and collected the seed himself from those places in his travels. There were other strains similar viewed as Mullum Madness, so it depends who you spoke to at the time."

Shanti's La Nina - grown by L33t

Shantibaba's acknowledgment of La Nina's MM heritage explains this report from a Canadian journalist at an early 90s HTs Cannabis Cup:

"The Green House told me they supply this bud to Dutch chemotherapy patients. Their house breeder also told me that he used an Australian strain (Mulanimbee Madness) to develop the White Family. He claims the Madness is the most potent pot he's seen on this planet."

aussie bush weed is exactly what it says it is and is a generic name encompasses any outdoor sativa strain grown in the bush

when buying its generally cheaper than 'hydro' which is also a generic name for any inddor grown indica strain...

generaly this a problematic area for anyone wanting particular strains ans most dealers dont give a flying f*** what they are selling and would just as readily slap any old name on the stuff if it would sell more...

sad, but thats the state of things ...

Edited by ileso

We have a "unknown strain" that a mate has grown for the past 40+ with no cross breeding with any other strain, and he got the seeds from an old bloke when he was a kid so i would be very interested in knowing more about this strain but no one really knows anything about it :wallbash:

Id say shes almost 100% Sativa post-10315-0-07616100-1302697242_thumb.jpgpost-10315-0-08829800-1302697252_thumb.jpg:scratchin:

Dallas.

:bongon:

I've always been of the belief that aussie bush is the strain that was growing wild around newcaslte and the hunter valley in the 60's. I'm pretty sure it's related to northern lights.

That was wild hemp mate.. Hippies and surfers went nuts going out there and loading there and loading up there comby vans.. Pity it didnt give you much more than a head ache... Some of it might have gotten you stoned, but the majority was hemp and the rest would be shite.

We have a "unknown strain" that a mate has grown for the past 40+ with no cross breeding with any other strain, and he got the seeds from an old bloke when he was a kid so i would be very interested in knowing more about this strain but no one really knows anything about it :wallbash:

Id say shes almost 100% Sativa post-10315-0-07616100-1302697242_thumb.jpgpost-10315-0-08829800-1302697252_thumb.jpg :scratchin:

Dallas.

:bongon:

I dont know why noone replyd bout this post. Hopefully this refreshes it. That plant looks amazing, I havnt seen anything like it, the way those leaves grow all up there. Would be a lil pain but looks quite simple to manicure. Though atleast 40 years in the making, wouldnt be as strong as the sativas of today. A good cross keeping the growing traits of that plant would bring out a nice baby. Looks quite natural like a plant u would normally see in the bush. :P

I'd drag my balls over 4 miles of broken glass just to get to some Old Mother Sativa aka Mullimbimby Madness seeds.

Loved this brew.

All I know is it used to grow true to seed every time

BURNZ your so right mate as I have stated in one of my previous posts. Hemp grow n by migrants, possibly for rope for the navy. You could smoke it all day and never get stoned. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story I suppose.

ILESO thanks for the tip on the La Nina

BURNZ your so right mate as I have stated in one of my previous posts. Hemp grow n by migrants, possibly for rope for the navy. You could smoke it all day and never get stoned. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story I suppose.

The hunter vally crop wasn't low THC hemp. It is well documented who planted the original seed and where they came from in India if you want to look it up. Low THC hemp is a recent 'invention' been bred to try and distance the hemp industry from the stigma attached to THC. (low THC hemp is inferiour to 'old school' hemp in many ways as well) Originally hemp was just sativas, just like oms is and mullum madness is for eg. There is a very good chance there are even genetics in both those strains from the hunter valley crop. It was a very interesting stand of cannabis imo. Mainly because of the extrodinary hardiness and vigorous growth the plants displayed and the speed in which it had spread over such a large area in a relativly short time.

Peace MongyMan

• Upvote 2

I was not talking out of any documentation, but out of what i've lived. Been aware of this weed long before it was called " the Hunter Valley infestation " I've even heard it called " the Hunter Valley Invasion" I did read some article once recently that stated " hippies were loading up their kombies with it in 1963 ".The hippie sub-cullture did not even really kick off in America until 1967 at the so called " summer of love " let alone be in Australia in 1963. That was the first and last time I've ever bothered reading about it.

but I'm hearing ya Mongy, any links?

Respect Sharpie