A Step Forward

Ex-Officers, Judges Support Calif Pot Legalization

WEST HOLLYWOOD, Calif. A group of former law enforcement officials is endorsing a November ballot measure that would legalize marijuana in California.

The group, which includes former or retired police officers, judges and prosecutors, announced Monday in West Hollywood that it supports Proposition 19 because keeping marijuana illegal props up drug cartels and diverts law enforcement from more serious crime.

If approved by voters, the proposition would allow adults to possess up to one ounce of marijuana. Local governments would be allowed to tax its sales.

Los Angeles County Sheriff Lee Baca recently said he would lead efforts against Proposition 19. His counterpart, Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck, said he's personally against the ballot measure, but his department has not taken a position.

Source: Bellingham, Whatcom County News and Information / The Bellingham Herald

Its getting close now, getting interesting indeedy.

I was reading some where yesterday about donations being made to the SAY NO to legalisation

campaigning.

A lot of money also being put up by other law enforcemnt groups and surprise surprise

alcohol companies, afraid of loosing money? cops afriad they will loose funding? then there may be

need for less police? haha so many vested interests

The thing I find most interesting about this process is the fact voting is not compulsory. Obviously those who are great supporters of Prop 19 would run to the polls to vote yes. Seems from what I can see of voting trends a 50/50 type split for and against. But unlike Aus, nobody can really hope for those that are undecided to go to the polls in the first place, so hoping the undecided will vote in favour is not really a possibility I guess. Those against may not be as motivated to vote if they're not really that concerned about it, but the firmly against will run to the polls also. Only time will tell. Bit sucky they won't get the "oh fuck it, I have to vote anyway, let people have their medicine if they need it" voters. Then there's the group that doesn't care about it but are very concerned with the lagging economy of Cali and sick of seeing violent offenders released early due to overcrowding in jails...mainly due to minor pot offenders taking up space.

This will have huge repercussions if passed for all of us, but will take years and will need to prove successful for other countries to follow suit.

Lets hope the ganja gods are powerful enuff on the day :)

Yes its about time that Australia takes that leap into Cannabis Legalization to. There so many people out there that would benefit from this.

I had the chance to see first hand what smoking cannabis can do to help cancer patients, my uncle and his daughter both died from cancer but fought hard with dignity to the end with abit of help from Saint Maryjane..

R.I.P Fleming and cristy.

Get ya ass into gear Australian Government. Time for change is needed.

LEAP members are considered traitors by all law enforcement agencies in America and the media has branded them as acting against public interest. It doesn't matter that their position is based on logic instead of ring wing morals as well as their personal experiences of fighting the war on drugs, they will simply never be able to hold any weight in our struggle because of the opposition to their group :thumbdown:

On a personal note though I don't see prop 19 getting passed. Law enforcement knows that with weed taken out of the picture they'll struggle to find any reason to keep their numbers so high which means job losses, prisons will stop being over crowded, judges will get less work, etc. Generally speaking it will completely fuck over the legal system in America and you can be damn sure they'll fight a lot harder to keep their jobs than stoners will be to free a weed they can already legally get :thumbdown:

and the media has branded them as acting against public interest. It doesn't matter that their position is based on logic instead of ring wing morals as well as their personal experiences of fighting the war on drugs, they will simply never be able to hold any weight in our struggle because of the opposition to their group :thumbdown:

I'm not sure I totally agree with this. Every time I've ever seen a member of LEAP in the media, they have been given a fair hearing, always able to get their points across. I read and watch a lot of media, and can honestly say I have never heard anyone from the media criticising them. There may be others with vested interests who have been critical, but I dunno that LEAP has been pilloried by the media.

And your point about right wing morals is correct. But it is interesting to see that there are some very prominant right wing commentators in the US who are currently pro-legalisation. Glenn Beck, perhaps the most influential (and absolutely, undeniably frikkin' insane) media commentator in the US right now, has advocated canna legalisation. John Stossel is another who is calling for the legalisation of everything and ending the war on drugs (his war on drugs debate youtube video series which i posted up here a while ago is a must-see imo). To counter that you do still have O'Reilly, Hannity and others who push prohibition, and hard.

Edited by snooch