Sativex: Anger Over Cannabis Drug Denial For Whitby Ms Woman

grace

Question

Mrs Clarke said the drug had improved her quality of life A woman with multiple sclerosis (MS) has criticised a decision which means she has to pay £445 a month for a drug to ease her condition.

Sheila Clarke, from Whitby, uses the cannabis-based drug Sativex, which has been licensed for NHS use.

It is available in some parts of the country but health trusts in Yorkshire do not fund it because of concerns over its cost effectiveness.

Ms Clarke said: "One day my savings will run out and I'll go back to pain."

Sativex was licenced by the Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency in June and is available from some health trusts.

However, a panel of regional experts in MS have said there is no compelling evidence of benefits to patients from the drug and decided primary care trusts in Yorkshire cannot prescribe it.

“I think we need to make sure that people who pay the same taxes wherever they live in the country get a similar service from the NHS†- MP Robert Goodwill

Ms Clarke's doctor Rory Newman said: "Before she tried it she had been having a great deal of pain, a lot of problems particularly with spasms around her neck and shoulder and it became clear quite quickly that the Sativex was helping a lot with this... she was much more comfortable and her quality of life improved."

Ms Clarke said she was upset that she was unable to get the drug from her health trust NHS North Yorkshire and York.

"They say the benefits are not outweighed by the cost. How do they know this, they don't have MS, they don't have the symptoms so they couldn't know it."

Scarborough and Whitby MP Robert Goodwill said: "In other parts of the country it is being prescribed and I think we need to make sure that people who pay the same taxes wherever they live in the country get a similar service from the NHS."

In a statement, NHS North Yorkshire and York said it did not "routinely fund the prescribing of Sativex for patients with multiple sclerosis symptoms including spasticity and pain".

It continued: "This is the agreed regional policy across 14 PCTs within Yorkshire and the Humber and has been in place since March 2004.

"The panel concluded that Sativex lacked compelling evidence of benefit for the target population and was unlikely to be cost effective for use within the NHS."

Date: 14 September 2010

Source: BBC News

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-11305359

she has to pay £445 a month for
Cannabis tincture

why does it cost so much to get it to her????????

"They say the benefits are not outweighed by the cost.

:crap:

i wish i could pass her a few seeds and a cannabis tincture recipe

for i it costs $20/mth and make it i self

its so cheep and eze to do

How do they know this, they don't have MS, they don't have the symptoms so they couldn't know it.

this poor suffer is so incapacitated that she has to pay someone to help her

and this is what GW delivers at £445 a month

shame GW shame

GW sux

the writting is on the wall now

clear for all to read

we now know your in it for love of money

you will get yourz GW

:thumbdown:

how do they sleep???????????

go down GW

you are a vampire living off the blood of the sufferer

clear for all to read

you will get yourz GW

I think it was always about profits tbh. That's what happens when health care is big business.

I initially wondered to myself whether or not their prices will come down once more markets open up. With a currently limited market, it would be hard for the product to remain profitable. But then I realised that, realistically, their production costs shouldn't be that high. Not so high to warrant such an expensive product.

clear for all to read

you will get yourz GW

I think it was always about profits tbh. That's what happens when health care is big business.

I initially wondered to myself whether or not their prices will come down once more markets open up. With a currently limited market, it would be hard for the product to remain profitable. But then I realised that, realistically, their production costs shouldn't be that high. Not so high to warrant such an expensive product.

So agree with everything you have said. What an evil system that allows people to suffer like this until they die, or in my case go blind.

she has to pay £445 a month for
Cannabis tincture

why does it cost so much to get it to her????????

"They say the benefits are not outweighed by the cost.

:crap:

i wish i could pass her a few seeds and a cannabis tincture recipe

for i it costs $20/mth and make it i self

its so cheep and eze to do

How do they know this, they don't have MS, they don't have the symptoms so they couldn't know it.

this poor suffer is so incapacitated that she has to pay someone to help her

and this is what GW delivers at £445 a month

shame GW shame

GW sux

clear for all to read

you will get yourz GW

:thumbdown:

how do they sleep???????????

go down GW

you are a vampire living off the blood of the sufferer

greetnz sista ashka

i feel you

our eyes may suffer but we vision is clear

naworrie

they are the ones who fear justice

steppin traditional style

from the garden to the medicine chest

is just too eze

we never needed modern tek, pharmaceutical drugs or chemical fertilisers and pesticides before 1936 or today

thanx and praize to the most high for the gift of cannabis and the empowerment of self medication

forward ever sistren

hold your head high

heal the people

heal the land

I'm just trying to figure out the calculations they used to come up with the BS that growing a plant naturally or hydroponically, is more expensive than a synthetic pharmaceuticalscratchchin.gif

Street dealers have no problem with distribution, so can't see much cost in the way of thatscratchchin.gif

Wondering if any on the NHS board in those areas are on any pharmaceutical company boards maybe? whistling0000.gif

I'm just so sorry for all the people who are caught up in this war between common-sense and profit for companies

peace.gif

However, a panel of regional experts in MS have said there is no compelling evidence of benefits to patients from the drug

To that I would say: clearly NOT a panel of experts on the subject.

Ironically, GW recently (as of end of last year) contacted Rick Simpson on the subject of his HEMP Oil because they want to market and sell it. He told them were to go citing it must remain free. :)

I can never decide if Radic is talking or singing when he posts hahaha. Love ya work brother! :peace: :guitar:

As for the poor woman who is FORCED to most likely illegally medicate from now on, all I can say is that company bosses only give a fuck about the fatness of their wallet.

Fuck em, makes me want to grow even more! :ph34r:

greetnz

GW recently (as of end of last year) contacted Rick Simpson on the subject of his HEMP Oil because they want to market and sell it. He told them were to go citing it must remain free.

thanx rjw

you brite i up

hahaha

red neck rick is showing his hippy roots

free cannabis.,., heshe.,.,. i wish too.,.,hippie rickie lol

nuff raspect for the man rick simpson

free hash oil.,.,free,.,.,.

that is clearly not gonna happen with GW

the NHS board in those areas are on any pharmaceutical company boards

right on dani

prohibition breedz corruption

sux everytime