Waiting For Seeds To Break Ground Is Painful :(

I put 4 seeds into some seed raising mix on Tuesday, watered them, and put them in my grow cupboard under light for 18/6. Temps are hovering around 20-25C and humidity around 80%, I've been watering to keep it moist on the top because the light/heat dries up the soil pretty easy.

Still nothing breaking the soil yet, I'm waiting patiently.

I've decided to switch to 24 hour lights to keep the heat up, I imagine the 6 hours where the light is off it gets fairly cold in the cupboard so that's probably not helping me. I will switch back to 18/6 when something pops out.

Only two of the seeds were showing signs of strength, they didn't really start popping out of the seed casing until I started monitoring the temps and actively aimed at keeping the temp up to around 25c, these cold days aren't helping.

I hope I'm not doing something to screw this up. I've named the two strong seeds and hoping they become my strong little girls.

Does it sound like I'm doing it right? I've got the seeds in a small green house thing, I was told to keep the lid on it until they break soil. Makes it easier to keep the temp up, my actual cupboard is only about ~15c at the moment.

• Downvote 1

yea everyone has their favourite methods of popping seeds and you are doing all you can to create a good environment for them

sometimes it happens that seeds just will not pop for one reason or another, sometimes old seeds, sometimes sterile seeds from poor male pollen etc

i put my seeds in a wet folded paper towel on a saucer with glad wrap over to stop drying out and then place saucer on cup warmer on the espresso machine

even then ive had seeds that wouldnt pop after about ten days so i just threw the seeds out in the garden patch in backyard, well bugger me coupla weeks later im looking over the garden and i see 2-3 little mull plants popping up :xcited:

guess ya never know the ways of nature eh

:peace:

I watched some youtube tutorials about seeding and wet kitchen towels and a dvd case will do a trick. I am thinking of growing my own and been doing some research on germinating and there are a lot of hands on clips at youtube or and this site. One thing I am not sure about is the temperature. I should wait for the coming summer for my first grow experience I guess.

Just got home from work and I checked on my babies. The temp is sitting at 21C in the greenhouse which is good. Unfortunately I kinda screwed up a little with the soil and watering. See I didn't actually give them a proper water, I just gave them a good spray with a water bottle on mist. Tonight I actually poured some water into the little cups and the soil pretty much eroded away and the seeds became exposed. I got to see my strongest seed and it has a stem of about 1cm now. I quickly covered them up with more soil so hopefully I didn't do any damage. Back under the light now.

Pretty sure I will be fine from now on to water them with mist. I just needed to give them a good initial dose of water.

I hear 'aherrm' ' cough cough'... from a friend that when he germinates his seeds

he does it teh old fashioned way with success 99% of the time...

cotton wool in a small lid or dish with warm water and vover, leave in warm cupboard

and keep wet.. dont allow to dry out at all... presto... in a few days their little

helmets start to show

Fun times!