Chances of survival?

I would like to know what people think the chances are of planting a handful of plants in the bush and looking after them while they take hold (for like the first 2 months), then leaving them to mother nature for the rest of the year?

Would they get enough water from coastal rain when it comes?

Chief

Okay maybe I should rephrase the question.

If the plants don't get enough rain, would they survive? ie they might wilt and droop, but would they survive until the next rain comes?

I assume they would, as they would in the wild (Like all the plants in home garden survive without any extra watering).

Has anyone done this?

Chief

Edited by chief23

I had a friend who planted in a national park [east coast] at the start of spring. He then went overseas for a few months...when he returned he found the plant to have grown to about 4-5 feet, but had died recently to apparent lack of rain. The plant must've been pretty resilient to survive for so long. He reckoned one or two trips during that time to water may've been enough to ensure its survival. At least we know for next time.

Cheers.

Guest bacchus

hey chief....

i have seen some amazing plants grown in the middle of nowhere with very little attention to them....

the occassional water here and there, when there was no rain in the area, but other than that, they were largely left to their own devices...

not saying that this is an advisable thing to do, because the last thing you want is some fine gentics going down the drain...but the upshot of it is, well, it's possible...but don't bank on it, have a backup plan

bacchus

this is how tons and tons of shitty pot is grown every year. I never really tried it myself, I couldn't, I'd have to go check on em no matter where they were. and I've lost plants that I've been watering weekly, not ripped off, just forgot where they were. So make good maps and take a compass and shit.

I'd think the best option would be to wait till december, january and plant 100's of plants in the national parks. It'll be to dry till then. Ask some old farmers about the rain patterns in the area. Or you could try your luck along creek banks.

I'd go for an indica strain, an old indica strain, as indicas tend to need less water (I imagine because they are from more arid areas and sativas from tropical areas). But then mould can wipe out an indica crop with heavy rains. I dunno the truth in that cos that an observation from indoor growing, where a sativa dom crop feeds more.

As for a handful, a big handfull, dont take no chances, I mean no pot will be really dissapointing but too much pot wont be so bad. Getting a mother plant ready now and using female clones will make your job easier and buds better.

Guest weekprik

If I were to grow outdoors again, then I would make sure its a real out of the way place, then dig the ground up and prepare it now, getting ready for planting in september,

I would use female clones and put 2 together in each spot, to make sure at least one in each place survives,

I would dig sand, manure(worm preferred) and water saving crystals in to the ground, and surrounding area,

then use female clones for the planting, that have been vegged in winter inside, make them big enough to grow happy but not big enough to cause problems taking to the area.

then just plant and soak the area, also I would plant some garlic and chysanthemums around the area.

Lay traps for wildlife ONLY if they are humane and you plan to check everyday,

personally I dont use traps and shit, but mix cat and dog repelants around the area.

I always look after my plants. I can't stand to see them even take a summer midday wilt without having a panick, but that's just me. I have a mate that has his own property, quiet a large one, and grows on it. Even though he can get water to the plants, even laying pipes to them if he wanted, he lets them take their chances. His outcomes are always much less than mine plant for plant, but he does get harvests, albeit light ones.

This is west of the rain belt I'm reffering to however. The coastal areas have got to be a better chance, and as stated, plant heaps. I mean if ya not going to look after them, what dif is there if there's plenty or few? Except you might pull off a beauty. I'd also follow the advice of planting after december, as this is the time the plants will get the Jan/feb rains, and they wont have to face the dry summer drought of december. Large plants in Summer need leashings of water. Use clones.

As for animal control, I've posted this here plenty of times, because I believe it the best wallaby/kangaroo control in the country.

Tie good meaty bones from a steer or lamb around the grow area with heavy fencing wire. The dingoes and feral animals will camp around the grow, and leave such a mess, and scent no wallaby will come within coo-ee of them. Use heaps of bones, and if u do go back through ther grow period, take fresh bones. I used to have permanent dingo camps around my plants. Of course, this will be limited to the amount of available carnivors around the area ya growing in. Make sure they're fixed securely to trees around the place but, you don't want them taking the bones away to eat them.

good luck.

rob

Edited by RobbieGanjaSeed