Seeds-Feminized vs Normal

I have noticed that not everybody uses feminized seeds when ordering from seedbanks.

I'm just wondering why?? i understand for breeding(you want a male) or price or the strain you want is not available femed,are there problems with femed seeds( yield,germination,hermi's??) I have limited space- 2 plants and time(and always want girls!!)so femed is the best option for me!!!I have tryed to research the topic with little luck . Just intrested to hear everybodys two cents worth!!

#SEE BELOW

cheers :rolleyes: wiet

# Insert my quote here followed by the link on ozstoners to the very subject.:).. DOH!!! :)

Edited by wietlover

Feminised seeds of repute are harder to produce, as they are resource intensive on growing space commensurate to the numbers of seeds produced by typical sexual propagation. Feminised seeds are technically hermaphrodite seeds i.e., they're seeds from female plants which have been produced by pollination from male induced flowers. While hermaphrodites will produce seeds, this is not what you want. You want solid female clones with a known strong lean to femininity so the resulting feminised seeds will not readily hermaphrodite to stress in the recipient’s garden.

To induce male flowers on strong female plants requires inducing a stress condition, i.e., over clocking females to week 15 of 12/12. When male flowers form at this point you require another batch of same clone females at week 3 in 12/12 to back-cross pollinate. You must be at week 3 12/12 or else you will not have the necessary 12/12 window period of ~6 weeks to grow out dark, plump and fertile seeds. Green seeds suck.

I did this successfully with Northern Lights. I then sent the seeds to a grower in north NSW who documented their growing on a Canna-site (back at Overgrow when that site exited), and they looked remarkably like the very females they were generated from!

Another method I have used was with gibberellic acid (which can be bought online or at the hydro shop); however there was unacceptable etiolating resulting in even less available inflorescence for male induced flowers to be expressed. I preferred the over-clocking method, albeit time and space consuming.

My personal view is to go for clone/mother keepers, and that means getting regular sexual propagated seeds, where you remove the males and hone down to the best of the females. While feminised seeds have their place in fast seed-thrills grows, they do not stack up to true workhorse clones.

hay weitlover

i have only grown out 7 packs of fem seeds and have had no hermies or late banans

i go fem seeds becouse there is no stuffing around with males

i take cuttings when i turn them and number each plant and keep the cutting from the best female

usuly do a run with the good cutting

by that time am sick of smokeing said strain and plant another pack of fem seeds

growing from proven clons will yeild you more every time

but wont get you veriety

too many strains out there to grow just one

stinky :rolleyes: :)

My personal view is to go for clone/mother keepers, and that means getting regular sexual propagated seeds, where you remove the males and hone down to the best of the females. While feminised seeds have their place in fast seed-thrills grows, they do not stack up to true workhorse clones.

Cheers O.T for the info! very helpful!!! :rolleyes:

i go fem seeds becouse there is no stuffing around with males

i take cuttings when i turn them and number each plant and keep the cutting from the best female

usuly do a run with the good cutting

by that time am sick of smokeing said strain and plant another pack of fem seeds

growing from proven clons will yeild you more every time

but wont get you veriety

too many strains out there to grow just one

And stinky,thats what i was thinking(except the cloning bit, but now i understand!!) Cheers fellas :) wiet