Cannabis Psychosis

Have YOU Or Anyone YOU'VE PERSONALLY Known Ever Experienced LASTING Psychosis From Cannabis  

57 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There are alot of people claiming cannabis causes psychosis and belive this is the number1 reason it shouldn't be legalized.

Some claim there is an 'epidemic' of mental illnesses and psychosis caused by cannabis.

I'm not new to cannabis by any means and over the years I have known alot of people who use drugs, not just cannabis.

It got me thinking.

Of all these people (many would be classed at the top end of usage amounts and therefor the highest risk group) I can only think of 1 person who had any issues with cannabis.

I had smoked cannabis with him for almost 5yrs and he had never had any problems with it. Then he went on a 6 month binge......any drug pretty much, pharmacy, legal and illegal....and something changed. To cut a long story short, he can't smoke cannabis anymore without getting psychotic episodes which can last a week or two sometimes and have resulted in hospitalization in the past. It's a scary thing to witness a mate 'flipping out'.

So anyway, what I am wondering is..............

What are your experiences? Have YOU Or Anyone YOU'VE PERSONALLY Known Ever Experienced LASTING Psychosis From Cannabis Please don't just vote No to 'stack' the votes to a No vote. If the answer is honestly Yes, then please answer Yes.

Rather than studying from the 'sideline' as most of the people releasing cannabis/psychosis link information are, we have been in the best position to KNOW just how common it is for someone to experience a psychotic episode from cannabis. We live it not watch it through a looking glass.

Peace MongyMan

Ps.... Since 'the binge' as my mate refers to it, he can't drink beer either or has similar problems though not as severe as with cannabis. Interestingly he can still drink spirits without concerns.

One of my mates used to smoke occasionally and then suddenly one time when he was smoking he just cracked it, had a real bad panic attack and was real paranoid for like a couple months after. He never used to do any other drugs either so it was just the weed. He doesnt smoke anymore either, i wouldnt say that was a full blown psychotic episode as iv experienced with one of my relatives on numerous occasions but it freaked him out enough never to do it again.

My other mate had a psychosis just recently. All of his friends know how irresponsible he is with durgs, taking what ever he could get his hands on. He had basically been on a binge for the last couple months doing acid, coke, pills, smoking, drinking, ketamine, speed, lots of things. Anyway a group of mates went to a kids farm down south and all did acid over a couple days, this pretty much tipped him over and he went into pretty crazy psychosis, none of the others knew what was going on, was pretty crazy shit.

Those are the only two cases that have happened close to me and i know alot of regular/heavy smokers. Im calling bullshit on this so called "cannabis induced psychosis epidemic" that we keep hearing so much about in the media.

Peace

F D L

I can't recall any long term user who only used cannabis flipping out. Ever.

Alcohol and cannabis is a potent mix I have seen many people do insane shit but they have all been big drinkers as well.

I've also seen many people use cannabis who had previous mental problems use it quite safely but still suffer from episodes unrelated to their cannabis use.

I have spoken with many friends who say they can't handle/don't like the effects of cannabis, so it is a very easy choice simply not to smoke, most of them drink alcohol though.

Also, I can recall traumatic events being the tipping point for many people, one poor friend could not handle a relative being murdered and went delusional, I can think of quite a few more seemingly normal people that happened to as well.

Perspective seems to go out the window when it comes to rational debate about cannabis use in the media, especially when the hysteria is driven by piss pot journalists quoting selected studies,... as if they are any sort of authority, great idea for a thread Mongy ^_^

I couldn't really vote, I cannot comprehend how any drug except when heavily abused could make anyone go off on tangent to believe in Vampires, dangerous paranoid Nazi conspiracies or a white man start thinking he was black, however these people also took other substances and the main factor for them I feel was a plain lack of direction use and meaning in their lives, although one guy stated he really needed to never take meth again.

Other person of greatest note had dangerous extreme paranoid delusions on alcohol occasionally which he acted out, fortunately never hurting anyone, but certainly endangering and scaring people, was an alcoholic who mellowed on cones and enjoyed the occasional blat of speed almost harmlessly. Always spoke of amnesia after but may also have been lying, a complex once.... intelligent person with a manipulative nutcase psycho mum.

Iv'e had some strong panic attacks on acid, E's and grass but nothing life changing, seem to wake up fine after resting sometimes painfully mentally stripping my identity which is fortunately these days quite sound IMO although if it wasn't I'd probably suffer depression and be withdrawn until I found my way, nothing that wasn't already on the cards drug free.

I also display at times an extreme sense of paranoia surrounding any illicit drug related matters which makes me quiet and elusive which would all be cured if the gov stopped interfering in matters of personal choice that significantly affect no-one else.

I think some substances are detrimental to some people, however with education and a choice to say an informed NO,

an experienced guide or careful dabbling most drug harms can be understood or avoided.

Edited by shirt

I couldn't really vote,,,,,,,,,,,
I think some substances are detrimental to some people, however with education and a choice to say an informed NO,

an experienced guide or careful dabbling most drug harms can be understood or avoided.

I, and many others agree with you shirt. This poll is about YOU'RE PERSONAL EXPERIENCES though, not what you think about why cannabis should be legal.

Reading the rest of your reply, my understanding is that YOU PERSONALLY, don't know of anyone who has suffered 'cannabis pshchosis'

In which case you would answer No to the question. Am i correct?

Peace MongyMan

In which case you would answer No to the question. Am i correct?

Peace MongyMan

Yep your right, I've never seen cannabis just send a person...., I just won't say or seek to put it out our encourage it as fact because I suspect there are people who could have a wrong place wrong time on it.

I don't expect statistics or scientific knowledge will ever clearly show the truth of the matter.

example statements which I don't like include:

A) Cannabis is not ever a contributing factor to psychosis

lol Cannabis use will send people psychotic

And C which is my agenda

C) Cannabis use as most drugs/alcohol do require some care and control varying from person to person

Why because, in the decriminalization argument it is the easiest for others to accept so we can make progressive policy now... as I said before I don't expect statistics or scientific knowledge will ever clearly show to a satisfactory extent A or B to be true and then be believed and accepted by all, because I don't want the resolution of this question delaying any possible law reforms.

Also even if someone finally got the Gov results to fully vindicate Cannabis, it might encourage them to Legalise it then mismanage it like alcohol or tobacco with big companies like Mullbrough normalizing drug use to the extent alcohol currently is worst case scenario not that anything could be worse than ethane hydroxide... I believe in the Confusious' ideal a Government should not needlessly interfere in the lives of its citizens.

Edited by shirt

Complex question......chicken before the egg?

Have I seen individuals who suffer from a mental illness, who have been symptom and drug free for a long period of time, resume cannabis and end up back into hospital.

Yes.But......

There are so many factors such, as the type of cannabis they where consuming, but what I can rule (in the situations I have been privy to) out are factors such as stress, family dynamics etc.

Why?

Often,from my experience and observation, because people feel good (after doing it tough for a period of time), they think "I feel great, a few cones won't hurt me". They also at this time report of feeling normal (prior to their episode)

It is my strong belief that cannabis whilst in the most, is a relatively low risk drug compared to others, it to some, causes considerable harm. Just as does alcohol, tobacco etc. This should by no means make the drug unavailable to those who report no issues with it's consumption (or for medicinal use).

.......And C which is my agenda .....

Hmmm "agenda" interesting. lol Not a reply I was expecting to be honest shirt. Have you ever considered that facts are more important than anyone's "agenda". It's 'agendas" have created the problem we have now. I can't see how they can fix it be they pro or anti-cannabis?

Yep your right, I've never seen cannabis just send a person...., I just won't say or seek to put it out our encourage it as fact because I suspect there are people who could have a wrong place wrong time on it.

The fact is.......

YOU or anyone YOU'VE PERSONALLY known has never experienced psychosis from cannabis. If you don't want to vote that's fine. I just find it strange, to be honest, that you're reason behind that decision is based on putting an 'agenda' ahead of facts.

The "I suspect there are people who could have a wrong place wrong time on it." reasoning, sounds very much like the same reasoning anti-cannabis zelots use to justify taking the hard line 'reefer madness' stand they do.

Truth will win every time, not agendas imo sorry shirt.

Peace MongyMan

It is my strong belief that cannabis whilst in the most, is a relatively low risk drug compared to others, it to some, causes considerable harm. Just as does alcohol, tobacco etc. This should by no means make the drug unavailable to those who report no issues with it's consumption (or for medicinal use).

I don't think anyone can logically disagree with that flatcat........

The BIG questions are.......

1: Is it a small percentage of people or a high percentage at risk?

2: What causes it to be this risk?

With the answers to those questions, We can identify who is at risk and can educate and/or regulate where and if needed to ensure cannabis can be used very safely in our society.

For the sake of this poll and to get any kind of accurate answer to question 1, any other contributing factors are pretty much irrelevant anyway.

It is how many people get psychosis issues. (if they smoke cannabis, instead of getting 'high' like most, they experience 'cannabis psychosis') .......not why that I'm trying to get an idea on here

Is this the 'epidemic' some would have us believe or is it only a few people?

Peace MM

. If you don't want to vote that's fine. I just find it strange, to be honest, that you're reason behind that decision is based on putting an 'agenda' ahead of facts.

The "I suspect there are people who could have a wrong place wrong time on it." reasoning, sounds very much like the same reasoning anti-cannabis zelots use to justify taking the hard line 'reefer madness' stand they do.

Truth will win every time, not agendas imo sorry shirt.

Peace MongyMan

SORRY.... ^_- How dare you have a different opinion and not agree with me... lol I hate you and refuse to chat with you.....and be careful before you or others start becoming 2 dimensional pro cannabis zealots :D

Even if Cannabis is completely vindicated many and especially the hardliners will never be convinced they will still argue using any abstract evidence or statistics to convince themselves and to argue otherwise, I conclude by arguing with these people you only make them stronger and result in delays to decriminalization VICTORY...

PEACE ^_-

Edited by shirt