Cannabis leads to psychosis

I guess this piece succinctly highlights the difference between a 'Christian' and a follower of Christ?

For a guy who teaches the Bible it's a pity he doesn't understand it much. And while I applaud his effort to steer little kids away from booze and other drugs, when it comes to adults then the best option is informed consent with no legal repercussions and lies and more lies based on an unholy crusade.

I'm not going to disagree that it has it's effects, and that the various recorded affects aren't going to be experienced by everyone, after-all everyone reacts differently. I will say this however this christian guy is a moron he was only talking about the negative affects, drugs have negative and positive effects, and he was also talking about the drug as if it gave long bouts of psychosis. That may be a rare case and I highly doubt it. There is also the marijuana with higher concentrations of cannabidiol (CBD) which apparently counter-act the psychotic affects of marijuana.

greetnz

science and creationists are at it again

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19560900

Assessing the impact of cannabis use on trends in diagnosed schizophrenia in the United Kingdom from 1996 to 2005.

Frisher M, Crome I, Martino O, Croft P.

Department of Medicines Management, Keele University, Staffordshire, UK. m.frisher@keele.ac.uk This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it

A recent systematic review concluded that cannabis use increases risk of psychotic outcomes independently of confounding and transient intoxication effects. Furthermore, a model of the association between cannabis use and schizophrenia indicated that the incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia would increase from 1990 onwards. The model is based on three factors: a) increased relative risk of psychotic outcomes for frequent cannabis users compared to those who have never used cannabis between 1.8 and 3.1, ^_^ a substantial rise in UK cannabis use from the mid-1970s and c) elevated risk of 20 years from first use of cannabis. This paper investigates whether this has occurred in the UK by examining trends in the annual prevalence and incidence of schizophrenia and psychoses, as measured by diagnosed cases from 1996 to 2005. Retrospective analysis of the General Practice Research Database (GPRD) was conducted for 183 practices in England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. The study cohort comprised almost 600,000 patients each year, representing approximately 2.3% of the UK population aged 16 to 44. Between 1996 and 2005 the incidence and prevalence of schizophrenia and psychoses were either stable or declining. Explanations other than a genuine stability or decline were considered, but appeared less plausible. In conclusion, this study did not find any evidence of increasing schizophrenia or psychoses in the general population from 1996 to 2005.

1 more time

In conclusion, this study did not find any evidence of increasing schizophrenia or psychoses in the general population from 1996 to 2005.

guidance

just to rub it in a bit more

Marijuana Use Associated With Higher Functioning In Schizophrenics, Study Says

Manhasset, NY: Schizophrenic patients with a history of cannabis use demonstrate higher levels of cognitive performance compared to patients who have never used the drug, according to clinical trial data published online in the journal Schizophrenia Research.

Investigators at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, the Zucker Hillside Hospital in New York, the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and Princeton University compared the neurocognitive skills of 175 schizophrenics with a history of cannabis use with 280 subjects with no history of illegal drug use.

Researchers reported that cannabis users demonstrated "significantly better performance" compared to nonusers on measures of processing speed, verbal fluency, verbal learning, and memory. Marijuana use was also associated with better over all GAF (Global Assessment of Functioning) scores.

Authors wrote: "The results of the present analysis suggest that [cannabis use] in patients with SZ (schizophrenia) is associated with better performance on measures of processing speed and verbal skills. These data are consistent with prior reports indicating that SZ patients with a history of CUD (cannabis use disorders) have less severe cognitive deficits than SZ patients without comorbid CUD. ... The present findings also suggest that CUD in patients with SZ may not differentially affect the severity of illness as measured by clinical symptomatology."

Researchers speculated that the observed differences in patients' cognitive functioning may be because subjects who use cannabis are more likely to "competently engage in social interaction" than nonusers.

"[T]he present findings suggest that SZ patients with comorbid CUD may represent a higher functioning subgroup of SZ," investigators concluded. "Future large-scale, prospective studies are needed to elucidate the nature of this relationship."

For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: paul@norml.org This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it . Full text of the study, "Cannabis use disorders in schizophrenia: Effects on cognition and symptoms," will appear in Schizophrenia Research.

from a normal news letter

guidance

greetnz

science and creationists are at it again

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19560900

^_^ Thanks for posting that Radic. Someone actually posted that study in the comment section to this guy's story and, not surprisingly, he dismissed it. And that's the problem with people like him - he will use one rather dubious case study to get to his pre-determined position, and dismiss all other evidence that either refutes his claims or at the very least introduces balance to the debate.

Why? Well, given he makes at least part of his living out of teaching kids and other groups (adults???) about the "evils" of drugs - and I'm still curious to know what drugs he chooses to teach are bad - he's not going to want to show anyone the benefits people can get out of them. I also don't mind our kids being taught about the possible pitfalls and dangers of different drugs, but they have to be given ALL the information and ALL the facts so they can make a proper, well-informed decision about them.

seen

yes i can see the light a dat

still

we both dont want our kidz hooked pon any drugs

all i hafe say is prohibition will not take we there

legalisation and regulation of all drugs will dowit

6 countries have all ready gone so

imho

legalize all drugs is the only sane solution

anyone who gets hooked pon drugz needs help and support

not criminalisation and incarceration

guidance

Marijuana-smokers and legalization advocates believe. Talk to them about the harmful effects of marijuana, and they will either deny that any exist,

Personally I think we should try and avoid links to or any efforts regarding what this wannabee messiah publishes as it gains him publicity and suppport

However playing Devils advocate because satan loves these misguided Christians here, I understand why he has a problem with the above, when you are trying to raise kids to be the best they can to live lives so complete and full( in my dreams like I could do that) they never wish to alter their minds or do anything even possibly harmful to themselves, you do not like it when people get in your face and try and tell them something is harmless and normal which you disagree with.

I'd like to raise kids like that.....

In all I basically think given the above people exist I think the greatest legalisation arguments are in users agreeing cannabis or whatever has some health negatives as do most drugs but that by decriminalisation the worst effects that do affect others such as criminalization, going to prison and drug related crime and poverty can be avoided.

Also people with mental illnesses, poor discipline, or selfish hedonistic ways are more likely to use abuse drugs alcohol or self harm etc and these are not the sort of people one wants their kids to meet and associate or trade with as a result of a criminalized blackmarket selling system.... which could be avoided given the opportunity for an open market place.

Edited by shirt