Mophy madness

I live with hermaphrodites Mark 601; also known as mongrels, my grow based on hermie bagseed stock.

Cannabis is genetically predisposed to hermaphroditism as a survival mechanism, but how prone they are varies between strains.

Some do it naturally without provocation, as part of thier genetic lifecycle, a full blown hermie that puts out clusters of balls as well as a few female bits, straight off the bat.

Others are environmentally stimulated, by a light leak, changes in temperature, severe drying, or poisoning with nutes. Feminised seed can be made of 'stable' strains, by poisoning flowers late in flower with giberellic acid.

Others like mentioned, just put a token effort to expressing thier male side late in flower.

Once a hermie, always a hermie; simple logic is that if mother is prone then so are her children.

There is an element of truth to the myth that hermie seed will always be female, a plant pollinating itself will produce female seeds; however letting in another male or hermie will revert to chance. A hermie x female is a mongrel, though some nice mutations can result.

Only thing to do if all you have is hermie seed , is avoid shocks like letting them dry out. Indoors a constant light leak will cause hermying, but sometimes this is limited to the branch lit. Same with spilling nuts on plant, just one flower goes off.

They are decietful things, a lot of love wasted on something that is not really a girl. As such, knowingly giving someone hermie seed without telling them is non kosher.

Good luck with it, Vortex

Yeah I mostly agree with you there Vortex.

But I term a mongrel as an F1 tho, not a hermi. F1 - P1 / P2 (like us humans)

Correct me if wrong here, but from experience, a hermi is a hermi.

A male is a male. A female is a female.

With hermis, you can get female dominant and male dominant.

And as another grower pointed out recently to me, we rarely see male dominant hermis, because they normally get culled early as males.

Or only saved long enough for pollen, but not long enough to develop calyxes as well.

With female dominant hermis, these get culled too, but go nice for a while until the male clusters are out on show balls and all.

But what I think you also spoke of, were female plants that sex reverse to stress - only spitting out nanas, which still pollenate a little, usually late in flow.

This offspring are feminized seed.

Personally I wouldn't breed with them, but you can get some wicked plants from them, depending on the mothers.

:D

Yes mull, terminology differs from place to place. Call them mongrels more for thier behaviour and desire to rape innocent girls, than thier genetic profile. locl

Interesting the types of hermie and causes behind them, I have a morbid fear of them having had my first grow totally seeded by one. My girls are all prone to do it, i have had stray pollination from nannas every grow.

The seed has been 99% female, only had one male in two years. He never grew up to be a transvestite. locl

Did have an interesting plant that hermied on a branch because of a light leak, so was exiled. I chopped it back and put it out bush, where it went on to grow as a clean girl.

Hermying is a primitive trait, sometimes the seed throw back to primitive times; i have had a few interesting tastes, growth habits and flowers from the seed i have collected. My avatar is an example, a back to basics sativa. Best wishes, Vortex

post-39164-1276736750_thumb.jpg

Yeah I've had plants like the one in the photo I call them spindle fuck. I've been decimated by hermies in the past some jerk, who I now call king moph, gave me a heap of seeds when skunk first appeared & told me they were skunk. They were skunk alright they stunk some were that bad that flies laid maggots in the heads.

It took me years to get a good strain back now the cops took the lot, going to try clones this year but haven't had to much experience with them.

Can anybody suggest the best humidity % to keep them at if they are kept warm ?