Urtica Incisa

well i oticed happy high herbs sells an urtica of some description and it reputedly gives an interesting but short high when smoked... Now i have Urtica Incisa growing everywhere here and have collected some... heard that steaming or boiling not sure which as yet will get rid of the stinging toxins... But wondering if anyone has experience with smoking Urtica at all or even using it in salads as can apparently be done (screw that i would stress about stingers in my mouth :S)

Either steaming or boiling works... eaten heaps of nettle greens over the years, but never fresh always cooked and never thought of smoking it.

oooh yeah definitely cooked... Don't want any of the stinging toxins in me :S the welts they leave on hands and legs burn enough as it is... i had never thought of doing anything but exterminating them up until two days ago when i read about the ones on HHH >:(. spiky stingy bastards that they are...

well i might cook some up, dry it out and see if i can get any effects from smoking in the morning...

The tutorial i read on cooking them said to get the water REALLY hot and only drop them in for a little bit and then check for spines and do again if necessary. As they lose a lot of flavour and goodness from cooking too long...

I guess i will just have to do a test at home myself ;) might go buy some of the crap for HHH for comparison and post back. Will also let everyone know how long they need to be cooked for etc to remove spines/toxins.

The tutorial i read on cooking them said to get the water REALLY hot and only drop them in for a little bit and then check for spines and do again if necessary. As they lose a lot of flavour and goodness from cooking too long...

long cooking will turn the nettles to pulp (bit like english spinach in that respect... ) but the only thing you'll lose with extended heating is the vit C content and if you are smoking it, rather than eating it, you aren't getting any of the vit C anyway, so no worries there..

Hey Mull, did you cook first or just dry the nettles before smoking?

Chiming back in. The nettles have dried (rather quickly compared to my lactuca virosa) and the stingers are no longer "stingy" they all appear to have disconnected from the plant itself and i can brush them off with my finger/crush the leaves without getting stung. So i will try smoking this lot without boiling as i think it is safe enough. And to combat the flavour i will mix it with some Blue water lily flowers. They taste so yeumm, like a sweet, non-vulgar, licorice taste.

will post back in 10 mins or so with reguards to the effects... I will be smoking thru my bong soasa to minimise the possibility of any spines possibly making it thru into my stomach :S

kk, back. Definately does something !!! hurray for me... did 50% Nettles, 25% spiky lettuce and 25% nymphaea. was a bit harsh the first pipe but mellowed substantially after that. I found that a romper of a cone gave me the "eye closing" smack in the face i get from a cone of weed but it faded quicker replaced by a medium feeling of wellbeing and "goodness"

now noticing that things in the corner of my vision seem to stand out more than those in front of me... Quite often things catch my eye yet i look and cant find what it was, hehe. For the fact i could easily get kg's of the stuff i think its not too bad ;)

i went upstairs grumpy and came back down chilled, but i can feel it fading relatively quickly :'( never the less i will be grabbing a far bit to dry, crush and jar up to add to my herb collection.

My newxt endeavor will be to actually get some lactucarium from the spiky lettuce i find locally... big slashes with a razorblade, walk around the whole area of land and come back to the start say 20 mins later to start scraping it (harvesting) the shit is taking over i doubt anyone will mind... especially seeing as how it is a huge empty clear block covered in weeds >:(.

the feeling i got after my 4th and biggest (as described above the "eye closing") tells me it isn't placebo. Smoked plenty of other ethnos, never got that feeling before...

just wish they were easier to harvest, spines even get me through leather gloves :'( might need some platemail gauntlets