Canada's 'Prince of Pot' Marc Emery extradited to US

CANADA'S self-proclaimed "Prince of Pot" Marc Emery was extradited today to the US, losing a five-year legal battle to avoid jail time for selling marijuana by post across the border.

Arrested on May 10 in Vancouver, the 52-year-old Cannabis Culture magazine editor was extradited to Seattle, Washington, said lawyer Richard Troberman, adding that his client had already appeared in court in the US city 190km south of Vancouver.

"Marc Emery was in Court (in Seattle) at 2.30pm (local time). He is going to plead guilty on Monday to reduce charges," the lawyer said.

An ardent advocate of legalising marijuana, Emery was first arrested in Canada in 2005 on a US extradition request, but was released on bail pending his protracted legal efforts to have him serve time in his homeland if convicted of his charges.

He has never been put on trial in Canada.

The US today indicted Emery of conspiracy to manufacture marijuana and distribute marijuana seeds and conspiracy to engage in money laundering.

US justice officials said he sold more than four million marijuana seeds over the internet, three fourths of which were sent to customers in the US.

If convicted, Emery could be sent to jail for up to five years.

Also president of the Marijuana Party of Canada, Emery claims there are five million marijuana users in Canada.

In a recent interview he said he was proud and had no regrets about his online marijuana dealership that sold the recreational drug to consenting adults around the world, including the US.

The US Drug Enforcement Administration estimates Emery made close to $US5 million a year from his business.

From correspondents in Vancouver

# AFP # May 21, 2010 1:48PM

Source: news.com.au

pity it wasnt california he was charged in.. with the vote to legalise happening this year he probly be sweet..

or is that why he got charged elsewhere , for that same reason??..

well i say hats off to the man, you provide a valueble service and i wish him best of luck and hope he gets off so he can continue...

Hope he gets off?" Dont think thats gonna happen now

He's going to plead guilty...

I think once the US won his extradition after a 5 year battle, hes stuffed

theres always hope.. hes pleading guilty in order to reduce the charges.. and hey, many a person has got off on alot worse.. it did say if convicted..

certainly i agree theres not much chance of him getting off, but i do hope it works out in his favour..

as they say it aint over till the fat lady sings and :) in this case she needs the lyrics from the jury 1st...

cheers...