New accessory

I just picked up a new little accessory for my bong from my local tobacconist the other day, a glass stem and bowl. The one with the rubber on it, needless to say i was pretty stoked for 10 bucks. I went to use the bloody thing and it wasnt airtight. Anyone had similar problems? or know of any good ways to make it bit more airtight?

post-36052-1274254365_thumb.jpg

post-36052-1274254376_thumb.jpg

Peace

F D L

:peace:

G'day FDL ,

Nice lookin' streamlined bong there mate , just how I like 'em ... and congrats on the new 'paraphenalia' :)

Btw , what brand is your bong?

I've only ever used a glass conepeice once from memory ... and it was so gunked up it may aswell have been made from black tar :wub: ... am I missing out? ... Is there any noticable difference compared with brass? :)

So yeh , I'm not one to ask about the seal either ... I'm guessing there is some rubber either on the inside top of the stem or the outside of the glass cone to seal it properly? ... damn shame it's not sealing airtight to start with :(

Maybe an O-ring would work but you'd have to stick it in there somehow I suppose ... hmmm. :wub:

Oh yeh , depending on the shape of the cone it may just snap on like a rubber band and remain in place?

(O-rings are just fine rubber rings aye ... at first I was thinking of the grommets but they won't work ;) heh)

Well , thanx for sharing anyway ... and best of luck with the repairs :)

Cheerz :peace:

Budman :wub:

Cheaply made Glass on Glass (GonG) piece often don't seal airtight, and sometimes the discrepancy between stem and conepiece can be very large. If it was at all possible I would be seeing if you can get an exchange for a new and tested item. I have a strong feeling in the force that you won't be able to do this, (for obvious reasons) but I'd be certainly complaining to the retailer that the item you've bought doesn't function as intended. If you're polite enough yet assertive at the same time you'll probably get a replacement piece for free even without a return. It depends on the retailer frankly.

But to the point at hand, yes a small bit of tape may fix the problem, you may get a better fit with another downstem as well, but that would assume that the conepiece isn't the faulty part of the equation. It would probably be easiest to just pick up a pack of multiple sized o-rings from a hardware store and experimenting a bit with diameters.

Good luck. :peace:

G'day FDL ,

Nice lookin' streamlined bong there mate , just how I like 'em ... and congrats on the new 'paraphenalia' :(

Btw , what brand is your bong?

I've only ever used a glass conepeice once from memory ... and it was so gunked up it may aswell have been made from black tar :wub: ... am I missing out? ... Is there any noticable difference compared with brass? :wub:

So yeh , I'm not one to ask about the seal either ... I'm guessing there is some rubber either on the inside top of the stem or the outside of the glass cone to seal it properly? ... damn shame it's not sealing airtight to start with :)

Maybe an O-ring would work but you'd have to stick it in there somehow I suppose ... hmmm. :)

Oh yeh , depending on the shape of the cone it may just snap on like a rubber band and remain in place?

(O-rings are just fine rubber rings aye ... at first I was thinking of the grommets but they won't work :( heh)

Well , thanx for sharing anyway ... and best of luck with the repairs :peace:

Cheerz :)

Budman :wub:

My bong is an agung chong. The glass bowl just seems to pull alot easier due to a bigger hole than metal conepieces and it doesnt stick to the sides as much.

if u neatly wrap some tape around the top of the stem, it can be used to thicken the stem enough to plug the hole, maybe

Yeah I did that made it alittle better but still not fully airtight.

Cheaply made Glass on Glass (GonG) piece often don't seal airtight, and sometimes the discrepancy between stem and conepiece can be very large. If it was at all possible I would be seeing if you can get an exchange for a new and tested item. I have a strong feeling in the force that you won't be able to do this, (for obvious reasons) but I'd be certainly complaining to the retailer that the item you've bought doesn't function as intended. If you're polite enough yet assertive at the same time you'll probably get a replacement piece for free even without a return. It depends on the retailer frankly.

But to the point at hand, yes a small bit of tape may fix the problem, you may get a better fit with another downstem as well, but that would assume that the conepiece isn't the faulty part of the equation. It would probably be easiest to just pick up a pack of multiple sized o-rings from a hardware store and experimenting a bit with diameters.

Good luck. ;)

Yeah I think I may just stick to my metal stem and cone piece.

Peace

F D L

:)

Glass is so much smoother than brass, it's unbelievable. If it's not air tight, buy a small rubber ring that fits snugly around the non-airtight bit.

And Budman, I'd say you are missing out...if you get a chance, smoke out of a nice glass-on-glass bong after it's been freshly cleaned...it's amazing. All you can taste is weed taste, no funny harshness or anything.

I went all out and bought an EHLE (Hand-blown glassy from Germany) which is entirely glass, even the joints are ground glass. It's just amazing...you can slowly roast your bowl until the bong (which is huge) is fully milked, and you just sink it without a single cough or splutter.

Plus, I got a carbon filter which removes the carcinogens from the smoked and keeps the bong crystal clean for months on end...I change my bong water once a week too, and it doesn't even smell.

Yeah glass on glass does sound good, but those agungs are so cheap, simple and easy to get for me and smoke pretty pleasantly dont think you can go wrong haha. Most of those glass on glass setups will set you back abit wont they? Im gonna make the trip to bunnings try get the glass stem/cp going again but at the moment I dont even mind smoking with the glass stem and cone instead. Thanks for the tips everyone :)

Peace

F D L

:)