Ph Tester

I found an ol pool dip test kit... tests Ph, total alkalinity, chlorine, total hardness as ppm CaCO3.

Its just a strip of plastic with a diff colored portion for each of the tests mentioned above. The range of ph it detects is only from 6.4 - 8.4.

Are these things useful at all? Even close to accurate?

I tested the runoff after a watering and it came up as 6.4....should i trust this result?

Other results were: Chlorine = 0, Total Alkalinity = 80 (on a scale from 0 to 240), and Total Hardness = 500.

Im rather skeptical as to the accuracy of the Ph read out....has anyone ever reliably used these type of things before?

I've never used the test strips for hydro due to the range, I have found that you can't use hydro pH up and down on pools as the calcite builds up in the filters. Due to my 'quality' product, I ain't game to try pool products in my system. :yahoo:

I'm also a bit hesitant about pH meters. Personally I use Flairform, made in Perth, single drop into a test tube. It works, everytime. :peace:

No batteries. No build up on electrodes. Nothing ( the test tube is in the kit when you buy it )

Merl1n