3 finger leaves why is it happening?

i have a plant that is about 1 foot high and until 2 days ago it was growing 7 finger leaves but the new groth is all 3 finger leaves.why.the plant other wise looks healthy and growing fast but this is the first time i have had a problem like this and i really need to know why please help if you can i thank you in advance.

I'm not saying it's the case with this plant, Dr grow. As it maybe be a mutant (hard to tell with out pics).

But an observation I've made over the years with cannabis. Is that a seedling will start out with a 1 finger leaf 'n as it grows it'll produce more leaves with more odd numbered fingers (example 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, etc..) as it's matures thoughout it's vegetive stage. I've even seen a leaf with up to 17 finger count.

Anyways, as the plant enters its budding/flowering stage. It'll produce less fingers on each new leaf (example 9, 7, 5, 3 'n sometimes down to 1) as the plant comes towards the end of the season/life.

But yeah, just an observation i've made over the years. Others might be able to explain it better or add more to it.

lol

Hey mate, i haven't got half the experience of most guys but i noticed last grow that my plants started producing less fingers... My SSH had between 11 and 15 fingers thru veg and got down to 3-5 by the end of flower. wierd stuff. I wouldn't worry too much if it is still growing mate. If you start getting discouloration or anything along those lines then it may be something more serious.

It's not often that a plant will develop growth that's consistently three fingers for every leaf. It does happen though. I remember talking to gills about it in chat ages ago, he had a plant with three fingers: I can't remember the conversation entirely, but I think it was about preserving the trait so that offspring will also be three fingers.

I have an old cannabis culture mag, with a picture sent in by a reader. The picture is a of a 1.5 metre or so high plant in vegetative growth with three fingers.

I'm just guessing here, but it could be a tidy mutation or a genetic type condition in marijuana, or genetic type trait. Like some humans got red nuts etc. Or albinos etc.

with respects to what nooby and indycar said, if the plant isn't bursting with white pistils at the nodes between the stem supporting the three finger leaves and the main stem of the plan itself, then it's definately not in flower.

If the plant is growing outdoors and your in australia, then it would almost certainly be because it is going into flower.

How big are the leaves mate, if it is new growth maybe the leaves are very small and it's just small new growth. Alot of people top plants that are about a foot high to incourage lateral growth. If the leaves are just new growth then they will probably be between 4 and 7 fingers like the other leaves which were 7. If they continue to grow forever more with three fingers.. you ahve a nice specimen there.. expecially if it is a female. Look after it.. take some pictures, and if it continues to grow with three fingers keep it as a mum and use it for clones. Three finger plants look pretty stealthy.

The best person to answer this correctly would be a botanist or plant scientist of some type.

Edited by Allotropy

sorry guys let me give you a bit more info the plant is still in veg mode i am hoping to put it in a 50ltr pot this week.the plant is now under a 1ooow mh and it is being fed cyco part a and b grow.it is in cocoperl.anyway all the new leaves are growing ethier 1 or 3 fingers but when i started it had 5 to 7 so i really dont know what went wrong so it would be great if somone can help because i need some clones and i dont want to cut them from a plant that is retarted.and i really dont want to start from seeds again so any info would be great.thanks for the reply guys.here are some pics that might help to get me an answer and yes i am sorry i should have put them up right away.sorry there not the best pics but you should get some idea

post-36603-1271388200_thumb.jpg

post-36603-1271388223_thumb.jpg

post-36603-1271388243_thumb.jpg

post-36603-1271388260_thumb.jpg

post-36603-1271388280_thumb.jpg

post-36603-1271388308_thumb.jpg

:peace:

O.k. yeh Cool ... Thanks for the pics Doctor _G

I tend to agree with Indy on that (wow 17 fingers :freak: that's a big one) ... very interesting ... after the benefit of the Pics I'd say it is that it wants to flower , but if in veg then maybe there is a light leak in the growspace? ... so like , they are kinda halfway vegging and halfway trying to flower?

Other than something like that ... I had one or two plants I considered 'Runts' that have done exaxtly the same thing well before the larger plants were shifted into 12/12 for flowering (11:55/12:05 to be precise :peace: )

I just figured those runts hadn't handled a previous transplant too well and then probably not processing the nutrients properly and such either ... and as the light was raised they got left behind so to speak :)

(Was using a 1000W MH also , not sure if thats relevant or not)

How much light is the plant getting? And Are there other plants that aren't doing the same?

Note : I've done very few Indoor grows , just a few ideas. :yahoo:

If indeed it's a genetic thing then that is always interesting and makes for good discussion aswell :peace:

Cheerz and all the best of luck with the grow :toke:

Budman :toke:

there under 24 hours of light i moved it from under a 600w hps to a 1000mh.now i some place 5 finger leaves are showing again but there is only about 2 or 3 of them the rest are 3 fingers.but atleast the 5 finger ones are popping up so i hope it was just a light leak and nothing else other then that the plant is looking very healthy.thanks for the reply guys.