Calea Propagation

In this post I will demonstrate how to propagate Calea from cuttings.

To be honest taking cuttings is a pretty simple process that most of you may already know how to do.

However, there are a few do's and don'ts that do differ from the average method that will give you a better success rate.

As you may already know I have been working with this plant for a while now. When I first started taking cuttings I had a terrible success rate of about 50% with some simple self taught rules, I now achieve a 90% - 100% success rate.

That's enough talk, now on with the process.

Things you will need at hand:

Secateurs, Rooting Gel (not powder) and a trusty stick for poking holes.

post-32429-1270102595_thumb.jpg

Tubestock filled with rich compost.

post-32429-1270102550_thumb.jpg

Watering can filled with rain water (don't forget to have at least one dog watching you throughout this entire process, if you don't own one, borrow/steal one).

post-32429-1270102575_thumb.jpg

Cuttings.

post-32429-1270102644_thumb.jpg

Before you proceed any further you must abide by this rule.

Calea is very easily crushed about its newest growth, you will not feel or even notice that you have mishandled it for about another week as you watch in horror as those precious little cuttings go black and die.

Therefor the proper handling technique must be followed for great success.

Gently hold your cutting by the thickest part of the stem, then proceed to strip it as demonstrated below.

At no point handle the new growth or it will surely die.

post-32429-1270102725_thumb.jpg

Begin by cutting off the bottom two rows of leaves from your cuttings, do not pluck them off, calea is fragile.

I highly recommend whenever possible that you allow for two nodes in the ground and one node above the ground.

Below is the end result.

post-32429-1270102664_thumb.jpg

Snip just below the bottom node on a 45 degree angle and immediately dunk it in your rooting gel, again this is where you can lose your cuttings as calea develops air-locks very quickly.

post-32429-1270102682_thumb.jpg

Poke a hole in the tubestock with the trusty stick then gently insert your cutting.

post-32429-1270102623_thumb.jpg

post-32429-1270102705_thumb.jpg

Repeat until you fill your tray, then water well.

post-32429-1270102777_thumb.jpg

I have noticed that your cuttings are best left outside in a shady position for the first week, then move them out into more light gradually thereafter.

Those propagating hothouse things with the plastic dome lid only make your cuttings turn out to be wimps, they grow slowly, and are prone to a whole host of problems.

I have taken cuttings in all four seasons with great success, even when frosty and those 40+ degree days.

Just water them daily (mornings are best) and gradually reduce irrigation as growth becomes apparent. Don't drown them!

They will be ready to transplant into your garden when good root growth can be observed exiting the bottom holes in your tubestock.

With enough practice you'll lose very few cuttings.

And the rewards for all your work.

post-32429-1270102742_thumb.jpg

Happy dreaming,

Hammer

Edited by m-c-hammer