Marijuana legalization? A White House rebuttal, finally

Most south American countries are moving towards decrimalizing all drug use and most of Europe are looking at the same thing. Also, countries all around the world are starting to allow cannabis for medical purposes, so I think we're very close to logical drug laws.

Obama is never going to come out and say he thinks cannabis should be legal well his president, but the fact that his allowing the states to legalize medical cannabis shows that he supports it. The people have to be the ones that push for legalization and Obama will just sit back and let it happen. But he won't actively support the idea, that would be political suicide.

Rocker, what do you mean by "Amsterdam is starting to look shaky"? Amsterdam is looking the same as it's always looked! They have a below average rate of cannabis users and little problems, except with the UN and international tourist. Which is why they've made a few coffee shops that are right on the border members only (meaning dutch people only) to try and stop all the people from neighbouring countries coming over to simply score weed. Nothings looking shaky and when you say it is you sound as ignorant as this article.

i agree that Dutch coffeshops may well be closed down after the Dutch National elections in June

the support in polls this year have shown Geert Wilders political party is the most popular political party in Holland

if polls are accurately reflected at the coming elections Wilder will be a major power broker and could well be put forward as the next Prime Minister of Holland by a coalition vote

make no mistake there is huge support for this man in Holland

unfortunately he has stated on previous occasions that given the power he would close down Holland's coffee shops

further to this legalisation debate i cannot see any benefit for the recreational user of Cannabis to come from legalisation of Medical use of Cannabis

ok lets suppose Cannabis is approved for medical use this would play into the hands of the Pharmaceutical companies

cause everything related to medicine is either owned or controlled by them under strict supervision of Government departments

this would suit the lawmakers because if a person was approved as a medical user of Cannabis then that person would have to obtain their medicine via Pharmaceutical companies patented Cannabis extract , derivative or whatever they marketed

anyone else cultivating Cannabis be it for medical or recreational use would be still be breaking the law

if this spreading phenomena of Cannabis Dispensaries is seen by the Pharmaceutical companies as the cash-cow it is they would soon convince the Government the only safe way to regulate these sales to public would be through themselves

look at the opium poppy and its medical properties, try growing that in your backyard and say that you need it for pain relief

you would be thrown before the courts straight away and told to get your opium derivative from the chemist in the form of morphine etc,

do you really think Medical marijuana would be treated any different?

:)

Hey Frazz.

Interesting points there. Cheers.

My take on the trickle-down effects of legalizing medical use is this: it helps de-stigmatise cannabis, and helps reposition it in public perception as a useful medicine rather than evil drug. You'll still have some people who are dead-set opposed, but I should think this would represent a seismic shift in public discussion around the plant. At the very least you would see more balanced debate around it because the stigma of speaking up PRO cannabis would be reduced. It would also open the doors to much-needed research into the benefits and harms of the plant.

As for it playing into the hands of big pharma - I don't think the majority of dispensaries in the states are pharma-owned? I got the impression that they, and the licensed growers for the same, included mom and pop operations. Your point about regulation TOWARDS extracts, pills, whatever is a good one, as the IP around the production could be patented there.

But, hey, I'm a hopeful kinda guy :)

As for it playing into the hands of big pharma - I don't think the majority of dispensaries in the states are pharma-owned? I got the impression that they, and the licensed growers for the same, included mom and pop operations. Your point about regulation TOWARDS extracts, pills, whatever is a good one, as the IP around the production could be patented there.

But, hey, I'm a hopeful kinda guy ;)

nah i mean when this experiment in US is finally sorted out one way or the other in the coming future

no the pharmacies have no part in it yet ...

you are correct the dispenceries are free enterprise, run by Moms& Dads , collective, cancer help groups, anybody who wants get a license to start selling it

it cant stay like this forever, someone will call and force a decision from the State on this experiment with "medical marijuana"

IMO

yea dont worry im always hopeful too ;)

:)