Cannabis quotes from Einstein, Abraham Lincoln et al

Hey all.

Sorry to post yet another tidbit - but it's my first day off work for ages, so I'm going nuts with it :peace:

Thought I'd post here some of my fave quotes from notable people about cannabis. Feel free to add to the list!

"Two of my favorite things are sitting on my front porch smoking a pipe of sweet hemp, and playing my Hohner harmonica." - Abraham Lincoln (from a letter written by Lincoln during his presidency to the head of the Hohner Harmonica Company in Germany)

"The prestige of government has undoubtedly been lowered considerably by the prohibition law. For nothing is more destructive of respect for the government and the law of the land than passing laws which cannot be enforced. It is an open secret that the dangerous increase of crime in this country is closely connected with this."

- Albert Einstein quote on (EDIT: alcohol prohibition)

"Even if one takes every reefer madness allegation of the prohibitionists at face value, marijuana prohibition has done far more harm to far more people than marijuana ever could."

- William F. Buckley Jr.

"When a private enterprise fails, it is closed down; when a government enterprise fails, it is expanded. Isn’t that exactly what’s been happening with drugs?"

- Milton Friedman

"That is not a drug. It’s a leaf."

- Arnold Schwarzenegger (and in my head, this is said terminator-style)

"When I was a kid I inhaled frequently. That was the point."

- Barack Obama

"The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world."

- Carl Sagan (one of my fave scientists, ever)

"I used to smoke marijuana. But I'll tell you something: I would only smoke it in the late evening. Oh, occasionally the early evening, but usually the late evening - or the mid-evening. Just the early evening, mid-evening and late evening. Occasionally, early afternoon, early mid-afternoon, or perhaps the late-mid-afternoon. Oh, sometimes the early-mid-late-early morning. . . . ...But never at dusk."

- Steve Martin

"Penalties against possession of a drug should not be more damaging to an individual than the use of the drug itself; and where they are, they should be changed. Nowhere is this more clear than in the laws against possession of marihuana in private for personal use... Therefore, I support legislation amending Federal law to eliminate all Federal criminal penalties for the possession of up to one ounce of marihuana."

- Jimmy Carter, U.S. President

And last for now, but not least:

"If the words "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."

- Terence McKenna

:peace: thats not a bad list, the last one being new to me (and a good quote it is).

The Steve Martin quote always makes me laugh though ;)

A couple of classics too add...

“Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?”

Bill Hicks

"The drug is really quite a remarkably safe one for humans, although it is really quite a dangerous one for mice and they should not use it."

J.W.D Henderson Director of the Bureau of Human Drugs, Health and Welfare, Canada

and of course this doosy...

“I now have absolute proof that smoking even one marijuana cigarette is equal in brain damage to being on Bikini Island during an H-bomb blast.”

Ronald Reagan

:D

Not sure if the Einstein quote is referencing weed, though, wasn't it about alcohol prohibition?

Some good quotes there though guys, keep em coming. :peace:

The force is strong with this one. I've looked into it, and you're quite right - he WAS talking about alcohol prohibition. I've edited the above accordingly, but left it in because the spirit still stands.

Luke I'm pretty sure this is the one you're after buddy, It's from the book of Genesis (Old Testament). The first one is Genesis 1:11 and the second one is Genesis 1:12

God said, "Let the earth produce vegetation, seed-bearing plants, fruit trees bearing fruit with seed, each according to its kind, upon the earth." And so it was.

The earth produced vegetation: plants bearing seed according to their kind. God saw that it was good.

God said, "Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree in which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to everything that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so." And God saw everything that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. (Gen. 1:29-31)

I dont place any value in biblical quotes as the bible conflicts itself so often that it allows for any interpretation you wish to make of it.

On another note, I missed this one...

"Orbis terrarum est non altus satis"(The world is not high enough)

James Bong

:peace: