early harvest (one plant)

Today was a pain in the arse with my back fence neighbours, I noticed them lookin in the garden and i spied on them, obviously they noticed the big girls so when they left I went into sort of panic mode...at first i tried to tie them down a bit but it wasn't enough! I had to make the decision to chop half of her down to size so it stayed below the rest of the bushes, the other one is just too beautiful to chop yet so i'll leave her for now.

There wasn't much bud on this one...but it seems to have been a crap bagseed variety, it was slow on the uptake and buds are barely dense.

here is the result, kind of dissapointed based on the reaction from the other plants so far but better then nothing i suppose. The rest are doing well, How do i know when they stop growing bud? they've been flowering for about 8-9 week i think...

I guess it all comes down to smokeability and intensity

post-36943-1268192551_thumb.jpg

and a close up of some of the bud

post-36943-1268192612_thumb.jpg

and here is the leaf and trim i got from her, going to make more butter out of that :punk:

I added this to my other trimming session from the other day so now I have about 500g of leaf and bud trim.

post-36943-1268192569_thumb.jpg

I spent the past hour or so quickly trimming and just looking for a place to hang them...for now they're in the attic, a bit warm but there's plenty of ventilation so will they be ok up there?

Mate the reason that there isnt much bud on the plant is that from the looks off the pictures you have harvested the plant early.....it looks like a sativa which can take anything from 12-14 weeks to mature.....when 80% of the trichomes have turned red then you can harvest your lady :punk:

well it looks like were in for some cooler overcast/possible rainy weather for the next few days, i'll check on it in a few days

the plant must have been a high % of sativa, the one next to it has similar shape leaf so it must be a similar sativa percentage...but it's about twice as thick in bud density...still there is some bud left growing on the bush yet so it's not all over :punk:

I probably should have let it grow but the sight of my neighbour eyeing it off just made me a bit edgy

well the drying process was quick since there was not much bud, the stems snapped and the remaining leaves were quite crispy but most of the bug was kind of a dry-sticky feeling, i put whatever i got into my jar for curing

does this look right to you? just a piece of the dried bud i took a pic of and a couple pics of the trics thru my pocket microscope

post-36943-1268459327_thumb.jpg

it was hard to get the zoom on the microscope just right and the camera focus perfect but yeah pics speak for themselves...I can take this experience of drying as a trial run for the real harvest

much of the trichs appear to look like tiny sugar granules since they've dried up over the past few days

post-36943-1268459334_thumb.jpg

post-36943-1268459339_thumb.jpg

post-36943-1268459345_thumb.jpg

the buds smell nice but the intensity of the smell is feint even in the jar. oh well practice makes perfect

Edited by Astro84

Bugger bout the nosy neighbours. I got the same problem here... that coupled with the heat made me keep it on the downlow for a bit.

Definately needed longer but all the best its better than buying like the majority of smokers.

Just try LST a bit earlier next time... tying them down will allow them to branch more and make more buds :) plus you can keep them lower and if you start with the squeeze and roll technique early you can get them nice and low. give them good support for a few days to awekk if you squeeze and roll tho especially if its outdoor.

wish you the best for your other plant !

consider putting some hedge plants of some sort around them... Bamboo works well (get a non invasive variety though) or lily pillys. with some liriope or phalaris to cover the lower areas would give them cover from that direction without blocking much sun (maybe) ?