On eating and drinking cannabis....

Just my two bob's worth.

My preferred method of cannabis delivery is joint, but on those cold winter weekends, consuming cannabis in food or drink is a treat. I never bother making butter; too time consuming, easy to burn, seperates into milk solids and fats.....

First thing to note is: Cooking is Science. THC dissolves in fats/oils and alcohol. It doesn't dissolve in water. Second thing is that dried bud and fresh bud BOTH work when combined with fat or alcohol, but fresh bud may need a longer time to infuse. Whether you use dried or fresh depends on your own personal circumstances and resources. One thing is certain, you are wasting your time if you think you can brew a nice pot of cannabis green tea....

For baking cannabis into sweet things, brownies seem to be a long time favourite, but I'm not sure why. Fiddly to make, these insipid little offerings are pure SoCal. If nothing else, I'm practical so I bought a roll of ready made cookie dough from the cold >cabinet of my local superstore. You would never buy this stuff to give your children a healthy treat; it is pure fat, sugar, starch and salt. It's also a very good delivery device for cannabis.

After a bit of experimentation, I found that about a level teaspoon of finely chopped bud is about right for your average sized GMO cookie. Now, I'm of Scottish origin and it seemed that traditional shortbread would be as good as, if not better than your >cliched Amerikanistanian brownie.

So here is my Aunty Mary's short bread recipe with my addition. The science is good; shortbread is one third shortening (or fat) and it's cooked slowly at a low temperature.

Aunty Mary's Shortbread

500 gms butter

750 gms plain flour

250 gms caster sugar

>5 to 10 grams dried cannabis flower<

Rub all ingredients together with fingertips until they form a dough.

Roll out on floured board and cut into shapes, prick with fork.

Bake in oven at 200c (not fan forced) for 15 - 20 mins.

I can vouch for this being the tastiest, most effective way to eat cannabis as a sweet item. Shortbread was designed by the Scottish to be the perfect delivery method of THC.

An old friend of mine, wonderful artist, eccentric human being used to make big pots of bolognaise infused with cannabis. Follow any classic bolognaise recipe and include about a level teaspoon of chopped bud per person as you saute the onion, garlic, meat and herbs. Use plenty of olive oil and let it cook for several hours. Serve with crusty bread and have the best, cheapest, most fun dinner ever.

My brother, Blues harp player, Dave the Bastard, clips his leaf, packs it into a stone jar and covers with a fairly good quality port. Than he leaves it for a year, strains it out and holds some sort of Wiccan ceremony (not really, he is a biker). He says it's almost psychotropic. I haven't tried it but it sounds attractive.

For a few years I've been making a batch of Vodka hash after i harvest. Grab a big, glass, screw top jar and pack it with males, leaves, stems, trim. If you can afford Pure Polish Spirit from Dan Murphy's, grab a couple of bottles. If not, any vodka will do, but may leave residues of other chemicals.

Pour the spirit/vodka over the green matter and leave it soak. Turn it every day, but leave it soak for a couple of weeks. Then put the liquid in a stainless bowl and let sit somewhere warm until you are left with a thick brown oil. Use a rubber spatula, scoop the oil out on to a big, white, ceramic dinner plate and spread it out. In a few days, after evaporation, you will have some lovely hash that can be rolled up and put into the freezer.

I'm posting this mostly for you younger stoners. There are little traditions that need to be kept alive and you need input from older stoners to keep your feet on the ground and not believe everything you reat on the interwebs. For older stoners too; I'd love to hear the ways you used weed in food and drink.

ive only ever cooked with it once, i threw an oz of chopped up dry bud in a fry pan with a stick of butter and slowly cooked it for about an hour being carefull not to boil it, then i put the mixture threw a cheesecloth and strained the butter out into a tin and let it set in the fridge, i made anzacs out of it, they were a bit green but u couldnt hardly taste the weed at all, and they were real potent and easy as to make.

On the question about a cannabis drink without alcohol or tea, this can be done simply be adding a glycerine tincture to any beverage or even an alcohol tincture to any beverage but to avoid the high alcolhol % you could simply use a double boiler to cook off much of the alcohol while leaving a small % to remain and act as the carrier for the cannabinoids. Places out here are selling tincture sodas for $12 a bottle! what a rip! you could just buy a bottle of tincture for $45 and have enough to dose a 12 pack of crush easy.