first grow...

i plan to do a closet grow... one plant... organics... using CFLs... home-made carbon filter...

i been researching and reading everyday for the last two weeks...

however, as i never done anything to do with plants, i cant make sense of most of the information...

starting reading hydro... since i couldnt find anywhere for hydro, i starting reading about organics... confused...

i got a few questions... what stinks more, the soil/fert or the plant itself?

whats a good, cheap soil mix? for one plant...

with Nutrients, why is there always A & B? Whats the difference, i thought maybe it would be veg and flower... but there usually two diff types (Eg. Roots A & B, Bloom A & lol

is there anything else important?

what is "nutes"?

whats fertilizer (sounds like a stupid question)?

rockwool?

anything else???

simple.

0. make soil mix, leave for a few days.

1. germinate for a few days.

2. plant seed. (18/4)

3. watch grow, till its a bit big... watering everyday (rain water if possible)

4. Water with rooting nutrients (i think high N).

5. after around 4 weeks change to 12/12. change nutrients to flowering stuff (i think high K?)

6. continue.

7. how long is flowering?

i know, its all noob stuff... as i said before Ive read alot of information and tutorials but i cannot make sense from most of it. I think this is a more 'experience required' thing.

please help me, also please dont give me answers that you expect me to know what half of it means.

-siky

Edited by siky

Hi! 2 weeks reading and your asking what fertilizer is?! jeeezzzz!!

Ok here goes...

The soil wont smell, its the plant that causes this...(unless ur feeding with horse or chicken shit! haha)

Your local grow shop should have some ready made up soil mixes.

Ferts come in a vegative stage part a and part b and a flowering stage part a and part b, i think, because the chems in these bottles are not supposed to be mixed before they are diluted... I would recomend canna ferts, they are the first range of ferts i tried and ive always got good results from them.. Nutes are nutrients...

Fertz are basically food for the plant...

Rockwool is generally used for clones and hydro... I wouldnt bother with it in your case.

Get all your gear together, soil, fertz etc...

Germinate your seeds (do more than one... If they are not feminised seeds your going to have roughly half male and half female so i would grow 4 plants)

Veg for 4 weeks, depending on how big you want your plant to be when you finish it. Using canna vega part a and b...

Change the light timer to 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Wait for the plants to show sign on sex, usually males will show first, you will see little green balls start to grow on the nodes (where a shoot meets the main stem). You need to KILL these males as SOON as you see the signs, they will pollenate your females and you will be left with nothing but seeds... hopefully you will be left with 2 female plants, they should have 2 little thin white hairs in the same place the males had the balls (look for photos on google). Now select the strongest looking female.

Start with the canna flores part a and b. Feed for 5 weeks, i would then recomend getting a P K product, canna do one called PK13-14, P -Phosphorus, K -Pottassium. (Excuse my spelling). You wont need much of this, you should only use it for one week then back to the canna flores part a and b for 1 more week.

Then depending on the strain i would start to feed with just WATER for a week. The idea is to get the plant to use all up the remaining nutes left in the plant.

I would then Flush your plant, if you can put it in the bath or the shower. You want to run A LOT of water threw the soil untill the water thats coming out the bottom runs clear. This will leave your plant looking a bit droopy but put it back in the grow room and it will pick up over the next couple of days. By now the little white hairs all over your buds should be turning brown, You want to cut/harvest your plant when the white hairs are around 50-80% brown (top buds will mature quicker than the lower buds).

Im sure you can look up curing/harvesting your buds on google lol

Hope this helps!!

Good luck!

Tom

heya silky lol some answers maybe ...

fertilizer; is what ppl add to a plant as a readily available supplement of most of the chemical elements need for rapid, healthy growth in all plants

for our purposes of growing Cannabis the word 'nutrients' has the same meaning

within Fertilizer there are two main types which are roughly divided according to where the ingredients originate from

they are organic and inorganic Fertilizer

Organic fertilizers and some mined inorganic fertilizers have been used for centuries (e.g. manures, blood and bone etc)

Inorganic fertilizers are chemically-synthesized fertilizers and have only been widely developed during and since the industrial revolution

Most inorganic fertilzers come in a concerntrated form and being made up of chemicals they can react very badly and become unstable when mixed together, but once they are diluted in water their stability returns and they can be mixed , this is why they come in two seperate packs A&B

e.g. A&B Grow and A&B Flower / bloom

:)

Hi! 2 weeks reading and your asking what fertilizer is?! jeeezzzz!!

Ok here goes...

The soil wont smell, its the plant that causes this...(unless ur feeding with horse or chicken shit! haha)

Your local grow shop should have some ready made up soil mixes.

Ferts come in a vegative stage part a and part b and a flowering stage part a and part b, i think, because the chems in these bottles are not supposed to be mixed before they are diluted... I would recomend canna ferts, they are the first range of ferts i tried and ive always got good results from them.. Nutes are nutrients...

Fertz are basically food for the plant...

Rockwool is generally used for clones and hydro... I wouldnt bother with it in your case.

Get all your gear together, soil, fertz etc...

Germinate your seeds (do more than one... If they are not feminised seeds your going to have roughly half male and half female so i would grow 4 plants)

Veg for 4 weeks, depending on how big you want your plant to be when you finish it. Using canna vega part a and b...

Change the light timer to 12 hours on, 12 hours off. Wait for the plants to show sign on sex, usually males will show first, you will see little green balls start to grow on the nodes (where a shoot meets the main stem). You need to KILL these males as SOON as you see the signs, they will pollenate your females and you will be left with nothing but seeds... hopefully you will be left with 2 female plants, they should have 2 little thin white hairs in the same place the males had the balls (look for photos on google). Now select the strongest looking female.

Start with the canna flores part a and b. Feed for 5 weeks, i would then recomend getting a P K product, canna do one called PK13-14, P -Phosphorus, K -Pottassium. (Excuse my spelling). You wont need much of this, you should only use it for one week then back to the canna flores part a and b for 1 more week.

Then depending on the strain i would start to feed with just WATER for a week. The idea is to get the plant to use all up the remaining nutes left in the plant.

I would then Flush your plant, if you can put it in the bath or the shower. You want to run A LOT of water threw the soil untill the water thats coming out the bottom runs clear. This will leave your plant looking a bit droopy but put it back in the grow room and it will pick up over the next couple of days. By now the little white hairs all over your buds should be turning brown, You want to cut/harvest your plant when the white hairs are around 50-80% brown (top buds will mature quicker than the lower buds).

Im sure you can look up curing/harvesting your buds on google lol

Hope this helps!!

Good luck!

Tom

thanks for the great reply Tompyweed

ready made soil mixes... like azalia soil mixes? i dont really have any hydro or grow shops around... just Bunnings...

btw- i plan to buy a clone off a mate, besides the seed part is there much difference?

when you flush the plant, yes i know this sounds stupid, do you take it out of soil and wash? or wash soil as well?

after you flush, do you keep feeding it nutes? or just water?

as its in my wardrobe i wanna keep it small, will LST and topping keep this small? or does it depend on strain?

Cannaversity click here dude... sounds like you need to do more research on basics.

- Soil mixes; if you are not too set on going organic you can try a nutrient/fertiliser free medium such as coco...

- A clone (if taken from a female plant) is a guaranteed female... a seed is not.

- No, you do not take the plant out of the soil to flush it... it is flushed in the pot with straight water, then normal watering with nutes may resume.

- Your plant will double or even triple in height when you swith to 12/12 photoperiod... so when your girls get to around or just under half the height you want them to finish, flip them to flower... and yes LST and fimming can also help. I think i recall seeing a plant on here that was about 1m high yet the canopy was about 4m across :)

lol :)

with 18/4, does the plant eventually go into flowering? or does it stay in veg until 12/12?

soil mixes... any good simple ones that cant fail?

i got the following of a video made in 1997: 60% Potting Soil, 15% Perlite, 10% Building Sand, 10% Worm Castings and 5% Pre-Mix...

cannaversity doesnt have much on soil mixes...

thanks for info 420 HELI