Help needed from growers in Perth

I am planning on growing a crop in the south west of Western Australia and would like to here from any other grows who have experience growing in the state forests here.

I would be extremely grateful for any tips or suggestions ie best variety, locations - how far south of perth? I plan on doing small plots of five plants and any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

The plan is to plant far enough down south (probably Pemberton) so as not to need watering over summer. I plan on preparing the soil in advance of planting and want to return to the site only to fertilize for flowering and then again for harvesting.

I will be planting clones of a yet to be decided variety. I have access to Seed Banks in The Netherlands so gaining any recommended variety should not be a problem.

Also any suggestions on the variety best suited to a spring harvest (eg planting of clones outdoors in Sept to harvest in Dec).

Thanks to anyone who can provide me with some advice.

growing weed in western australia is as ,uch an art as an adventure. i too have ventured down sth. to grow this woderous herb.

the further the safer is a good rule to follow, before i go any further i must say that you are not the only lover and dedicated grower of this magical lpant in this fine state and for this reason you should respect others crops as you would want them to respect yours so if you stumble upon another growers plot, leave a not saying you found it and others not as decent may also--DO NOT RIP OTHER PEOPLE PLANTS.

ok soil quality in the south west is poor for this reason i would advise to bring in some quality soil and additives to impriove the area.

you say you only want to visit the area once or twice--this is basically imopssible in australia the temps are just too hot drying out the soil not to mention the lack of rain (drought this year) nothing comes this easy, if it were marijuana would still be the wild plant it once was.

if you do however wish to only visit the crop a couple of times to increase the plants chance of survival a few techniques must be folowed.(please not your harvest is usually an indication of the work you have put in.)

ok:

sites shhould be chosen in the winter and holes dug and additives added to be broken down (manure, fish heads etc.) any irrigation should be installed. (plz ask me for more info on underground drip systems) water crystals should be mixed with the soil --this shold sit for at least 1 month before plants are added (may burn baby mullies).

ok plants should be started inside to a height af 1 foot- babies can be devoured by a range of critters this height should allow it to survive attacks.

water is going to be your biggest problem and will mostly likely result in the death of yiou plants (GOODLUCK!)

now you will have to check on the plants as they go into flower to avoid a seedy crop.--males must be pulled before they release their pollen.

different ferts are needed now (high P) and be sure to flushj out those chemicals in the last couple of weeks.

goodluck on your plan although i would advise you find some close to home were you can care for these amazing plants with the proper care they deserve or you will risk wasting seeds time and not to mention petrol money.

sorry bout spelling--stoned

that last post was wrong.

1- water crystals dont burn roots

2-the P in NPK stands for phosphorous, this promotes ROOT growth, the N is nitrogen which promotes leaf growth. the K is what ur after, this is potassium it promotes bud and flower growth.

make sure u ghet all that right.

now i live in ALBANY, this is about as far south your can ghet in all of australia, like under perth. it rains like 8 munths in a year here, our 4 seasons r winter winter winter and summer and it still rains in summer. when u plant it bush out here the best things to remember r

1- u prepare the soil before hand. lots of shit dug round lots of organics. and different size soil particles to promote DRAINAGE (thats one of the most important things) when growing down south its very possible for plants to ghet water logged. BUT do NOT forget the water crystals.

2- remember that if its been raining alot down here and hasnt been too windy/or your plants r tied down. ull have to go out to them and give them a good shake regularly. this stops moisture build up and stops the mould forming on buds. VERY IMPORTANT.

3- make sure they r big enuff (at least a ft tall) and make sure theres enuff good loose soil around each plant. give them about 1m cubed space to grow in, that shud b enuff room to ghet at least 6ft tall.

4- remember fences around the plant (doesnt have to b very big only like 1-2ft tall) really help to prevent critters.

5- Leaving a few buckets (empty) with ur plant aint a bad idea, then when it rains it can fill em up while ur not there to save u havein to cart water thro the bush.

6- remember that southern bush, the ground is alwayz very root bound. make sure to soften the ground as much as possible, its probably best to leave the plants in pots when u take tyhem out there, and just dig a littler hole, leave them in the pot with the bottom cut off. its easier than diggin thro the masses of shit.

-- i think thatz alllll....

take it easy

toke it up

that last post was wrong.

1- water crystals dont burn roots

2-the P in NPK stands for phosphorous, this promotes ROOT growth, the N is nitrogen which promotes leaf growth. the K is what ur after, this is potassium it promotes bud and flower growth.

make sure u ghet all that right.

now i live in ALBANY, this is about as far south your can ghet in all of australia, like under perth. it rains like 8 munths in a year here, our 4 seasons r winter winter winter and summer and it still rains in summer. when u plant it bush out here the best things to remember r

1- u prepare the soil before hand. lots of shit dug round lots of organics. and different size soil particles to promote DRAINAGE (thats one of the most important things) when growing down south its very possible for plants to ghet water logged. BUT do NOT forget the water crystals.

2- remember that if its been raining alot down here and hasnt been too windy/or your plants r tied down. ull have to go out to them and give them a good shake regularly. this stops moisture build up and stops the mould forming on buds. VERY IMPORTANT.

3- make sure they r big enuff (at least a ft tall) and make sure theres enuff good loose soil around each plant. give them about 1m cubed space to grow in, that shud b enuff room to ghet at least 6ft tall.

4- remember fences around the plant (doesnt have to b very big only like 1-2ft tall) really help to prevent critters.

5- Leaving a few buckets (empty) with ur plant aint a bad idea, then when it rains it can fill em up while ur not there to save u havein to cart water thro the bush.

6- remember that southern bush, the ground is alwayz very root bound. make sure to soften the ground as much as possible, its probably best to leave the plants in pots when u take tyhem out there, and just dig a littler hole, leave them in the pot with the bottom cut off. its easier than diggin thro the masses of shit.

-- i think thatz alllll....

take it easy

toke it up

It can be good idea to scope out next years plots in the summer too.

Especially if you're not going to check em often. That way you can be pretty sure you have a moist enough spot and dont have to move them later. Having said that, every year is different and a moist patch (he he) this year could be flooded or dry as next year. Bloody hot work too trudgin through the scrub dodgn snakes.

Organics like blood n bone can push your plant up to 6ft. After that you need to supplement with soluables like Thrive, especially if it hasnt been raining and granulated ferts wont work.

I wanna know what varieties other people are growing down south. I've tried unknown bushy varieties down there and they work ok. How about durban poison? It finishes quite early so mould would be less of a problem. A guy grew durban in his Perth backyard and got 5lbs from it! He poured hydro nutirient over it a couple of times a day. It was a tree!

T I M B E R !!!

G'day,

when you dig your hole the ideal amount of water to add after you've dug it is about 20 ltrs...let it all soak in the hole, chuck in a half handfull of ozmocote, plant your sapling, add a little fish emulsion, more water around the plant, get some newspaper or mulch and spread around base of plant to prevent evapouration...all done..you won't need to come back for about a month or so... if your're worried about pests an stuff go ask a nursery for some animal repellant (tell ratus's or sumthin have been at your plants) and piss around the area as much as you can...that should mark out your territory etc...also you could ask a wildlife officer about peeing around your campsite to keep away the critters and see what they say... ;)

grow well

oh yeah I almost forgot...space your plants out... never grow more than one or two in the same spot.. always find a sunny place for your plants - you'll be amazed at the difference a location with full sun can make in potency and yeild. Never take the same route to your plants twice...never leave litter an stuff in the area...people look for that stuff to make busts on crops...also it sticks out like dogs balls to a trained eye... I've heard that some people who smoke pot can walk straight past a big mj plant and not even know it...;)