Trial aims to nip cannabis use in bud

Researchers at the University of NSW are hoping a novel online treatment for cannabis use will help one in 10 Australians kick the habit.

Motivation can be a problem for regular cannabis users and prevents them from seeking help.

But doctors at the UNSW-based National Cannabis Prevention and Intervention Centre hope this Australian-first online and interactive program will reach more users than traditional means of support.

“We want to reach most people who experience problems with cannabis and who don’t seek help because of their concerns about stigmatisation or that it’s not convenient for them,” researcher Dr Sally Rooke said. “But we want to get the word out that we have this online therapy that has been proven to actually work.”

The treatment, in its trial phase, teaches different coping methods for cannabis dependence through motivational interviewing and personalised feedback that mimics traditional therapy.

There’s also a module on managing smoking urges and withdrawal that teaches a technique to delay the urge for the drug for half an hour.

“It’s called urge surfing because the urge comes in waves; you reach the top of the wave where the urge is strongest but if you wait a few minutes the urge passes,” Dr Rooke said. “Another module gets the user to challenge his or her automatic or subconscious thoughts about using cannabis, like ‘I am going to be a failure at this party or I can’t relax without cannabis’.”

Author: Nick Moncrieff-Hill

Date: 18 Jan 10

Source: Southern Courier

http://southern-courier.whereilive.com.au/...bis-use-in-bud/

this is complete bullshit.

first off, most people who smoke weed are not addicted and dont crave cones.

and the 'gateway theory' is a peice of crap.... when your in school you can tell who's going to turn out successful and who is going to wind up with a needle in their arm... its called schoolyard politics, dickheads are always going to be the same, and the kids binge drinking and doing anything they can to get off their rocks are the junkies.

Then you have people who are smart, do their work, smoke, and make alot of money.... never have cravings, and just enjoy it like a glass of fine wine.

but then you also have the same with binge drinkers, people who physically crave alcohol.....

what we need to be doing is teaching children responsibility.... not fear...

it is better to understand the problem rather than to hate it blindly.

"We have developed a treatment for this highly addictive substance, our online tools are highly effective at treating this severe addictive disease"

Must be really addicted if it can be cured by visiting a website. I guess this shows the severe dilemma that some people "chronically" addicted to the evil weed face:

Crazed Marijuana Addict: "Help! I'm totally hooked to the insanity causing drug marijuana!"

Online Website: "One way to quit is to stop taking it. Think positive thoughts, oh if you want it, the best way to quit is to not have it even if you want it. Also stop smoking it and you will no longer get high"

Crazed Marijuana Addict: "Wow thanks.... I quit, you advice saved my life... But I think I got withdrawal. I got a tingly feeling in my little finger and also I sneezed once- it was the hardest thing I ever had to do"