3D Movies

So I finally went and saw one of "the greatest movies ever made" (Avatar), and to be totally honest, I was pretty disappointed. I went in expecting this amazing 3D experience, but it was just...meh.

From where we were sitting it wasn't really 3D at all. Some bits kinda were but it really wasn't anything special.

I went and saw Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs and Final Destination 4 (both in 3D) and they were great. Final Destination is such a shit film, but the 3D was amazing. Shit was just flying out at you all the time. I was like locked in my chair, it was just so intense.

I'm thinking of seeing Avatar sober, just in case for some reason it's better that way, but until then, I must say I'm not totally sold on it.

Who else has seen Avatar? Or any 3D movies for that matter?

thats going to be the problem for some time i think. the whole 3-d experience is just to get peeps back into the cinema, and even though i think there are some great opportunities to utilize the effect, i doubt anything real creative will be done.

just the same old shit, but now in 3-d.

i just saw theyre re-screening toy story 1&2 in 3-d. so, not even making pathetic re-makes anymore. just glossing over proven money-makers...

If you're in Sydney, try out the I-max theatre. Awesome 3D on a huge screen ( 4 or 8 storeys high I think ). More doumentaries than cinema movies, but, the experience is incredible. I actually had to leave once feeling the effects of " motion sickness" while watching a doco on the Titanic.

:bongon: :bongon:

Sgt Pepper, couldn't agree more. I reckon in time it'll be good, once they can fully work it out.

THCME, we used to have an Imax in Adelaide...it was sooo good. I went and saw a screening of a Pearl Jam concert there, and it was so amazing. It was even better than actually seeing them, just because I wasn't getting slammed into by drunken yuppies the whole time :bongon:

And Nug, that would suck. Just out of curiosity, if you're colour blind, what colours do you/don't you see? What's the whole deal with it? Never fully understood it...not trying to be a small-minded jerk. Just genuinely interested :bongon:

Slightly old topic but thought it fits in with what's being said - The new Resident Evil film is coming out soon and it's in 3D with some new technology we've never heard of. Oh and this 'new and innovative' technology was developed by James Cameron - wonder if it's the same 'amazing' technology he used for avatar :thumbsup:

as for bagging avatar - it was called environmental 3d in some cases - mainly not alot of shit flew out at you but the scenes in the forest and in the air and in almost all scenes the backgrounds looked 3d and stood out from the picture.. i personally thought the forest was insanely amazing

So I finally went and saw one of "the greatest movies ever made" (Avatar), and to be totally honest, I was pretty disappointed. I went in expecting this amazing 3D experience, but it was just...meh.

wow, as a movie buff I could go on for pages on the 3D debate.

I have really not been that impressed with 3D as it is now, both in the theater and in the home. For now it seems that it is a gimmick that the movie studios are playing perfectly. They will squeeze as much cash out of it as they can for as long as the fad lasts.

I saw Avatar in 3D and was suitably impressed. As with any 3D film that I have seen in the theater the depth into the image was amazing. I could literally see for kilometers into the landscapes. However, anything that popped out of the screen became unfocused, kind of shimmering/flickering and just didnt look like it was there any more. Luckily there were not too many effects that popped out at you in Avatar.

That being said I watched Avatar again in 2D as soon as it hit Blu Ray and it totally stood up and was even better the second time. The 3D didnt really add much to the film. Now, I do have a dedicated theater room with a 90" screen, HD projector and a THX certified sound system which all greatly helped bring the movie alive again, but you would think that something would have been lost when going from 3D to a flat presentation... and it wasnt. It was even better in my home on a flat screen the second time around.

I really hope that 3D is a passing fad that will burn out after another few years. What does it add? Really?

Would Casablanca, Psycho, Indiana Jones or any other classic be improved had it been shot in 3D? Maybe some genius director will come up with a new shooting style that will make 3D more than a gimmick that seems cool now, but until then I'll be happy seeing movies in a flat presentation.

I have only seen one 3d movie while stoned. I think it was called alien cowboy or aliens and cowboys. Not to sure it was last fathers day I went with him and the went to the cinimea toilets for a quick toke and ended up having like 6 cones of real good bud I dont remeber much but when I first went in I put my glasses on and i'm just like "WHT THA FUCK ITS 3D!" basically feel asleep after 20 mins cause it was a shit house movie. Oh and does anyone ever get this when they are watching movies and the acting seems real fake and shitty ? Edited by aussie420toker