Dirt like Growth in Res Tank

Is it dirt or rust from the water supply? Down here in Vic after a lot of north winds then rain, the car is covered in redish brown dust that was blown in from the Mallee and Wimmera areas. It looks like sediment to me. Is it slimy or solid or muddy? When I was working on cooling towers years ago after strong north winds we would have to go and clean them out and they had similar looking stuff in the bottom but on a bigger scale.

This stuff is not present when the res is filled, but rather "grows" over a period of 1-2 weeks after a system clean out. I honestly couldn't tell if it's slimy or not, I just empty it out and clean the system.

This is looking like I have a unique problem - just my luck lol

again thanks for the replies

M

Unique yes but if it has happened to you it may happen to someone else, the positive will be if a solution can be found or when a solution can be found then it will help others if they have a similar problem. I am not a hydro grower but I hope you can solve it, good luck and don't give up. lol

Hi brick,

I'll keep trying - but I will wait till it cools off some.

I've had that stuff a few times and it seems to occur when I haven't been diligent with my res tank changes

Changing the res every week seems to eliminate it, so I don't worry about it too much, it doesn't seem to effect the plants at all

Jimbo :D

Hi Jimbo,

Sadly my res tank is hard to get at and as such I generally only change when really needed. After reading what others do in terms of garden maintenance, I'm thinking that I'm a bit of a lazy bugger lol .

cheers all.

M