I've been asked questions about Salvia.

Well this year it has been slow growing as spring temps have been slow - which is why they're only just starting from winter root stocks. Now I don't grow indoors like I used to as mj takes the space so running Salvia 365/year is no longer possible ...okay. https://cannabis.community.forums.ozstoners...showtopic=26870

So one must be patient and live within the reality of mother nature when you go outdoors. That's the circle of life folks. All good things come to those that wait. Take to another project to idle the time if you're itchy fingered. Late April is probably a good forecast.

Pic is of outdoor Salvia as of 18th Dec.

post-34885-1261145778_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Orbit.

good to see its still puttering along man.

Healthy enough looking new growth though, shame the season started a bit slow for you but now you can be safe in knowing she is coming back

i just got myself a stock of various ethnos not too long ago/am continuing to. Keep me posted on how the salvia grows for you (what climate are you in) can be temperamental, wondering how well one would go in a big pot as i dont have the liberty of being able to plant one in the ground :) unless i want to leave it behind when i move. which i don't really.

nice mate, damn i want to try salvia... but i dont know anyone who knows where to get any. oh well, hopefully one day in the future it'll fall into my lap somehow...

Online from the US.

It's not actually on the customs controlled substance list, so even if you were unlucky enough to get your package opened most of them probably have no idea what it is.

Due to a cooler and wetter season than the past hot and drought years, I decided on taking Salvia cuttings now, rather than later, as early frosts are likely. If there's a frost with Salvia it's all over and a wait of another year. You can see the old dead brown stalks are last years growth that died back from frosts. The plants didn't get as big this year as they did last year (which was very hot). This is the fourth year they've been in the same spot outdoors growing up from the same root stocks in a sheltered position that gets only morning sun.

post-34885-1269875455_thumb.jpg

post-34885-1269875601_thumb.jpg

Cuttings taken, and as Salvia strikes in internode there's no need to trim off petioles and axillary sites (as is the norm with MJ).

post-34885-1269875636_thumb.jpg

As the cuttings will be going indoors to strike they will need to be pesticide sprayed because indoors there's no spiders, predatory wasps, assasin bugs, preying mantids and birds to keep pests in balance. The broad spectrum synthetic pyrethroid of Maverik is a relatively low toxic insecticide which does have a limited control of mites. However mites are not really a concern this season as it's been so wet. What is a concern is possible moth or beetle larvae on the leaves as they'll eat the Salvia in short order. The chewing damage holes in the leaves suggest their presence. The other bottle with the label washed out is a non-phytotoxic wetting agent so the pesticide sticks to the leaves and any pests it has contacted!

post-34885-1269875965_thumb.jpg

The shiny look on the leaves is the wetting agent and the pesticide. Cuttings are placed into a flood and drain crate with half-strength hydro nutes and a water heater at 25 C. Once they strike I'll engage the pump on a timer to flood the clones from the rez twice a day to get them to grow on.

post-34885-1269876027_thumb.jpg

Fluro on 24/0. In about 3 weeks they'll be striked and growing.

post-34885-1269876102_thumb.jpg