Rootstock/grafting technique

Hey all, I am looking into grafting different varieties of my fruit trees in the yard, while i was watching videos on how to do it, naturally it came to mind..How about grafting cannabis!? Sure enough it's been done before and i'm sure many of you know about it, here is an example video of multiple strains on one plant:

I know it's possible for grafting on to a branch already, but what about grafting onto the rootstock of a cannabis plant?

if you had a plant that is going through flower, after harvest could you graft a new top or younger plant onto it to keep the already huge root system alive and reveg the new cuttings or does the system just shut down after the plant finishes it's flower cycle and die?

to make it clear, would you have to make the plant reveg before you graft? or could you graft your stem in the flowering cycle and chop the harvest, leaving the already growing graft to grow another season?

the big girls in the garden have a really thick base, it's about 2cm thick, if T-grafting works i could graft bud sites onto the main stalk and have a super spastic fuckin monster bush with so many colas you would cream your pants!

since budsides are as plentiful as there are leaves.. your bush would look like a christmas tree!

i found that video very interesting, especially the point the guy made about grafting different strains onto a mother plant so you only need the one mother plant for up to 5 different strains! genius! :)

i guess if u cant house many plants and you want a variety of strains then its a great idea, it'll also keep the amount of plants down in case you get busted.

there's no loophole for cannabis, unless it contains close to 0% THC and even then people would go to extremems and making huge crops just to extract that tiny amount.

What i havn't tried and why i'm asking here is Can you graft after flowering when the plant is supposed to die off?\

Is it to root system that dies first or the growth that dies first?

if it was the root system, then i dont see why it wouldn't work to graft to a hops root system, it would stay alive meaning your plant might live through more harvests, strong root system all the time so you can continuously graft onto it,

I will try grafting after my plants flower but that is a couple of months away and they're outdoors too so I dont know what my luck is for colder weather unless i pot them. if they flower earlier, I might get a small quick second harvest immediately following but who knows.

To be honest, that video doesn't even come close to covering grafting properly. There's a lot of variables that don't get touched on. If you're fair dinkem about grafting, do more research.

Astro84, because canna is a non-perennial plant, there's a fair chance the root stock you want graft onto after flowering, might be in the process of dying off. Also when grafting, you want to avoid grafting onto 'old wood' if you can help it. I'm not saying grafting can't be successful on 'old wood', but it will minimize your chance of a successful strike.

What you plan on doing, is something I wouldn't attempt unless I had some grafting wax 'n tape. I'm not saying it's impossible, as I've done it with quite a few times with fruit trees that were cut right back 'n grafted another variety on to em. But unless you got a few variables like weather etc, working in your favour. You could possibly have a few failures. For experiment it'd be worth a shot, just don't go pinning too much hope on it being successful. That's basically what i'm trying to say

Personally, if i was gunna graft canna. I wouldn't bother unless both the rootstock and the cutting itself were both fairly new growth (vegetative stage). That way, you'd increase your chances of a successful strike/s.

:D

Yea it's not like i'm super enthusiastic about it, I just wanted to know what everyone's thoughts and oppinions were, I take grafting cannabis with a pinch of salt, just expressing my thoughts and ideas as a newbie gardener to the pros out there

I understand completely that success is high with young plants as oposed to old wood, grafting is complex yet at the same time it can be reletively simple, it works or it doesn't