Funny. I was just looking at the poppy seeds in the supermarket the other day thinking.... "should i....?"

And that judge is a moron. Was she under the illusion her laws were working this whole time? haha :D

Yes the seeds in the supermarket are treated but there's hundreds in each packet/container that don't become sterile. As to the actual morphine content of that strain used for poppy seeds, I'm not sure. I think it's pretty normal.

I wouldn't make poppy seed tea from them though. The treated seeds give you a stomach ache.

You can`t buy "opium poppie"seeds in the store.They need to be of the variety Papaver Soniferum,which are banned in almost every country in the world.I had to get mine sent from Paraguay through some Mennonites from there.

Peace

99.9% of poppie seeds sold in supermarkets are Papaver Somniferum.

They are supposed to be irradiated but are not allways.

Worked for me

I have thousands of them now.

http://reviews.ebay.com.au/Growing-Papaver...000000011330415

Edited by need4weed3

You can`t buy "opium poppie"seeds in the store.They need to be of the variety Papaver Soniferum,which are banned in almost every country in the world.I had to get mine sent from Paraguay through some Mennonites from there.

Peace

Possessing the heads and straw of the papaver somniferum is illegal in a lot of countries, but I've never even heard of the seeds being illegal in any country! Havnt you ever been to the bakery and got rolls with poppy seeds on them? There papaver somniferum dude, the ones you extract opium from.

Anyway, it seems kind of silly to risk importing poppy seeds into Australia (which is illegal) from overseas when there's vendors here that sell different strains. Also I know the ones in supermarkets say there imported, but I have to question that, since the opuim industry in Tasmania is known world wide for the quality of there seeds for food and since Tasmania has the largest legal opium industry in the world, you would think that they would have a fair bit of byproduct left in the form of seeds. So why would we export all our poppy seeds to only go and import (lesser quality) them from overseas. So personally i think that most the poppy seeds you buy from the supermarket would be the same strain they grow to extract opiates in tasmania.

BTW, I personally think smoking opium is fairly boring, it doesn't even compare to sitting back with some nice bud. You just have to see how popular cannabis is over opium to see that. Basically in every country in the world there's a thriving cannabis industry and a lot of culture around it. But opium is really only popular in thrid world countries where a person doesn't usually have access to pain medication and has to either work till they die or strave.

I just think it's a fun thing to grow for novalty purposes and learning all about it, the opium poppy has a lot of history behind it, the naughty little flower that also does so much good for mankind, it's a trip.

i got my seed sent over from tazzy while i had a mate visiting there but i only got 2000 odd. Last year multiplied to 10000seed any this year my seed pods are just about dry enough to harvest 50000 seeds or more.

Poppies have a bad germ t rate andcontinue to dry in my climate to(spring to summer harvest christmas day yay) maturity rate 1000 seeds in maby 100 come up maby 10 of those make it to flower. so you need bulk seed from good plants.

post-5631-1261809132_thumb.jpg

post-5631-1261809153_thumb.jpg

post-5631-1261809469_thumb.jpg

The seeds you buy from the super market have too be grown out first then you use those seeds, I've tried growing them and all of the effort for such a small quntity really is'nt worth it bro. their very fragile so transplanting is a no go,You'll just have to thin them out and let grow like a friggen weed.Takes ages for fuck all........spaceleaf

The seeds you buy from the super market have too be grown out first then you use those seeds, I've tried growing them and all of the effort for such a small quntity really is'nt worth it bro. their very fragile so transplanting is a no go,You'll just have to thin them out and let grow like a friggen weed.Takes ages for fuck all........spaceleaf

Quoted for truth

My goal is to thin out the small plants by choosing a certin type of pheno from the plants seed for next year. This seed from the tazzy has atleast two different phenos or strains one with smaller heads and spikes on the stems are sharp other are fuzzy and soft on the larger..

i wouldnt buy seeds but i to start a small grow of any poppie any less than 1000 seeds is a waste of time for a first timer sprinkling in the dirt. From the 1000 planted your lucky if 100 come up alot clusted after thining and removing runts you could get as little as 10 to 20 good plants 1 maby 2 heads each its a numbers game. I bet in burma they lay the seed thick then cut/ off the runts.

The mate that gifted me the seed died in that year 05, so it just something ive done since, sprinkle a few around Spring time started small FAIL next year in the shade i had a good but slow grow, got the basics like feeding root care down.

the plants really are not at all suited to my garden beds/ soil or climate i have to baby soon as summer kicks in norm late bloom. I got a few good coments at christmas from family and friends that had seen the bloom weeks earlier, amazed how they fast the die off to mulch if not watered enough or they just finished flowering a die still unknown had issues...