Surge protection... cheap?

....so please feel free to move it if it's in the wrong forum. Okay, so I'm having some trouble with my electricity supply for my grow. We have a surging supply problem, particularly because we live in an old house, and the shitty timer which I use for the lights are those cheap, 1/2hr increment pin timers? This means that the other, more expensive timer which I have, a digital one, keeps on resetting and losing it's memory when the lights are going on or off. Now, this isn't deadly surging or anything, but the manual says that could be the problem, as it's a recharging battery inside. So, I know that you can get surge protector powerboards, but is there a cheaper, or more effective way? I mean, is there anything I can do to eliminate this surge problem, without having to purchase a large and expensive surge protector? Even if you guys know of a better timer brand which won't have this problem for not only the lamps but the other parts of the grow, fans, airpumps, nutepumps, etc.... that would be fantastic.

Thanks for taking the time to interpret my gibberish... :huh:

I don't know much about surge protection, but in that situation I would use a HPM timer or similar. They've got little tab type things that you push up and down that give you as many on/off periods you want in a 24 hour period in 15minute increments. no pins involved. You can buy regular cheap HPM for about $12, or heavy duty for about $40. Then when your power goes out its just a simple adjustment of the dial to get you back on track.

Guest Field_of_Light

Hey Luke if things are that bad I wouldnt be leaving home in case they sparked and burnt your house down.....

Spend 50 bux on a six outlet surge protector....and 50 bux on a digital timer...that holds 2400 watts and then a cheapo power board plugged into the above mentioned timer plugged into your surge protector

Spend 50 bux on a six outlet surge protector

Or spend $20 on a single outlet one and plug the power board into that, I use surge protection for my lights even though my contents insurance covers them, wonder how I'd go claiming spoilage if they did blow. ::huh::

I also have one of those body guard plugs fitted as the foil I use is also an excellent conductor and the grow room is a "wet" area.

http://www.gamers-forums.com/smilies/contrib/ruinkai/coolgleamA.gif

hey luke,

go and have a look at the power box and see what the main fuse is... then what other breakers are off it..they should be 15-28 amps (x240v=watts) then its a matter of when lights go out, turn most of household equip off then use a clock radio to check which points work when the fuses are out... In really old places you may only have a 50 amp main and 1 or 2 15 ampfuses for the whole house... then add up what else is on the breaker you maybe pushing the limits and not even know it..

televisions - 400watts

heater fans - upto 2400w

comps/radios/kitchen goods possibly even the garage or something all depends on the first builder/owner... but its always better safe than sorry :o :huh: