UK FALL-OUT - 2 MORE ADVISORS RESIGN

hell yes, i was hoping more people would resign, finally people with standing have a chance to preach the truth to the world, i think this is going to do a lot to change how people think about cannabis and other drugs in the UK, hopefully other countries including ours learns from them also.

Well having been a Pom until 2001 I find the whole UK thing fascinating.

As Ive stated in a previous post cannabis use is very overt in the UK, and when Labour swept to power I had great hopes for decriminalization til it became apparent that Blair actually belonged to the christian right, need I say more?!

A few years back, due to the sheer number of users, the legal classification was reduced after the govt acted on scientific advise, then it was upgraded again after fear about the effects of so-called super-skunk.

A few of my friends over there decided to grow following the class reduction, but were left in limbo after it was reclassified.

The Home Secretary is now denying that Prof Nutt was sacked because the govt rejected the science, but because, in his opinion, a science advisor should not be trying to shape political policy - which is obviously a load of bollocks.

I am however thrilled that Prof Nutts associates have resigned (two so far with more to possibly follow) and if nothing else it puts the whole campaign to legalize debate back on the public/media agenda.

However, I do have major concerns as to what will happen following the next election, the Tories will obviously get into power cos Labour have done their dash over there, but there is also a lot of support for the BNP who will undoubtedly win a few seats, so I reckon the whole legalization campaign will once again be put on the back burner, or, worse case scenario, the penalties for possession will be increased.

I'm watching this with interest too, thanks for the links to the BBC pages. Proffessor Nutt's video is worth watching so is the other one by Dr King.

This is gold :whistle: the governments own advisory board telling them the truth, telling them what people have been saying for decades, that Cannabis is less harmful than alcohol or nicotine and that it's classification back to B from C was and should not have been politicised. I am very interested to see where this will lead, it is a major crack in the wall imo. The truth may inadvertently be thrust into the spotlight if the government isn't careful......... although, watch the smear campaign unfold against these academics,... can see it coming a mile off

Yep, the BBC is giving this story good coverage, as is my fave UK news service Channel 4.

This is how they reported the latest resignations:

TWO GOVERNMENT DRUGS ADVISERS QUIT

As we predicted yesterday two of Home Secretary Alan Johnson's drugs advisers have resigned in protest at his sacking of Professor David Nutt. The loss of Les King, a leading chemist who used to work for the Forensic Science Service, and Marion Walker - a leading pharmacist - is a major blow to the advisory committee according to one other member we have spoken to. More resignations could soon follow. The scientific community seems furious at the way Mr Johnson has treated his committee and its advice. Various big names have been out essentially supporting David Nutt on the evidence and advice - although some are critical of the way it has spilled out into a public row.

Even Lord Drayson, the science minister, sounds a bit bemused admitting he is going off to find out why nobody told him about the sacking. We'll be talking to Professor Robert Winston. The Home Office has turned down our requests for an interview for the third day running. Alan Johnson made an early appearance on Sky News this morning to defend his decision - he says he did not sack David Nutt because he didn't like the advice, but because the Professor had started 'campaigning' for a change in government policy. It is not at all clear what he means by 'campaigning' as David Nutt essentially published and lectured in an academic capacity, rather than on mainstream political platforms. However this is a point we cannot chase tonight as Mr Johnson won't come on.

Drugs panel member quits in protest: http://bit.ly/3GUAcL

Channel 4 News always seem to dig a little deeper and ask the curlier questions of those in power.