Mother plant / cloning info?

Hi there,

Looking to clone for the first time. I know the process of taking clones and how to look after them but I am slightly unclear on the process of selecting a mother plant. I will explain what I was going to do and hopefully someone can tell me if this is correct.

I have 3 plants that have been vegging for about 1 month now from seed (not female seeds) I was going to chuck them from 18/6 down to 12/12 until they show sex, get rid of the male/s and then revert back to 18/6 veg a bit more and then take cuttings from the fem plant/s is this correct when growing from seed?

Thanks,

UC

Hi UrbanCultivator,

Another consideration in choosing a good mother plant is only found out by flowering her through a full cycle. This can be done trough gills method above in taking clones in 18/6, putting the cones to 12/12 @ w4 then flower out and select the best performing clone.

My personal preference is not to keep the original seed plant but the best performer - 18/6 & 12/12.

As you have diversity in seed grown plant during 18/6 (form/structure/health/bug resistance) & in 12/12 (leaf to bud ratio/yield/ nutrient sensitivity/bug/mold/frost resistance) you want to select the best plant to be 'your mum'.

Many "mums" (aka 'keepers') while a good looking 18/6 runner, great structure trun out to be a shit 12/12 in the yield department.

lol

Nitty.