Drug Testing Newborns And Mothers - What's The Go?

Hi all, I'm a newbie to this site and this is my first post :yinyang:

Does anyone know whether newborns are tested for illicit substances (including Cannabis) at or after birth here in Australia? And does it depend on which state you're in?

I have researched this topic many times online and the only information I can find relating to this topic is from overseas, mainly the U.S.A and the U.K. The general information is "Doctors will only test newborns if they show signs of drug addiction/withdrawl and if the parents consent to the drug test being done". There are also articles and posts (from overseas) that say babies can and are often taken away from parents if they test positive for drugs, including THC.

I'm wondering if it's the same story here in Australia?

Babies don't have the drug abuse probelm as such, but their mothers sometimes do and therefore so do they. An unborn baby is subject to EVERYTHING a mother ingests ,inhales and imbibes.

A hospital may test a mother if they have a VERY SOLID reason to believe the baby is at risk.. Usually this relates to drugs that are causing the mother or mother to be to have obvious withdrawals.

For those who want the truth and not the lies and false reports the government puts out.

I'm not sure about testing, which is something I'm trying to find out as well and see what the whole deal with that is, but I highly doubt that there will be a specific test unless the mother looks like a crackhead.