Still using the gateway theory

I really thought this tactic was over but no... Searching for my assignment I've seen this ad shoved in my face: http://www.drugfreeworld.org/publications/.../videos/gateway

Anyone else notice all these propaganda ads everywhere on the internet all of a sudden?

Pop Quiz, what was the first drug you consumed for pleasure?

It was for me tobacco, alcohol or caffeine depending on your point of view.

Be interesting to see the results of this.

IMO people turn to harder and harder drugs because they are trying to fill something that 'missing' in their lives. It's not any particular substance that leads to harder drugs, it's the personality involved. But then if an individual has to go through hard drugs and all the issues that go with them in order to find a greater truth, then so be it.

i know its sad to see people still pushing the gateway theory, but realize that these are the only points they have left to push, theyre desperate to be heard and less and less people are listening cos they have learned the truth and some common sense. Though we should feel threatened by ignorant people like these, all it takes is a little teaching on your part to educate those around you about the truth.

Knowledge is Power,

Fight the ignorant and ill-informed with facts and knowledge and we will prevail.

It's cyclical. These ads seem to be around in big batches and then are given a rest, but the 'gateway' idea never really goes away.

The idea works best on people who have never used or who are never likely to use any kind of substance other than alcohol, of course (or tea and coffee), so that the general populace can remain judgemental in relation to drug use. It is used to scare people and plays to peoples' general ignorance in relation to the topic. (In addition, this example also panders to that amazing stereotype that people who take drugs ultimately become dishonest as well.)

I have recently been busted for having a small quantity of cannabis for personal use and in order for me to get off with no criminal record I will have to endure a 5 wk course 'drug avoidance/escalation' and pretend I agree with it. See, it remains a popular and useful tool.

btw, the first drug I tried after alcohol was acid. So why don't they focus on alcohol leads to hard drugs?? Why, because it creates a significant amount of revenue. (I apologise for my cynicism - it's still healthy, but only just :pokey: )

edit - i should add that I am 36 and the last time I took anything other than mj wa when I was about 22. At that point I DECIDED that mj was the only thing I actually really liked.

Edited by annaonthemountain