Crossing high grade seeds

Hey guys

Has anyone had any good experience with cross-pollinating high grade seed strains from seed banks? Friend has a few good strains(kali mist, ak-47, chronic), and was wondering if it would be a good idea to cross them?

Are there any guidelines one must follow in this process, for example, because the kali mist is heavy sativa, am i correct in thinking that it would not be good to mix with a heavy indica strain like chronic?

Peace

Hey guys

Has anyone had any good experience with cross-pollinating high grade seed strains from seed banks? Friend has a few good strains(kali mist, ak-47, chronic), and was wondering if it would be a good idea to cross them?

great idea, thats a nice selection of strains that should give great results easily.

Are there any guidelines one must follow in this process, for example, because the kali mist is heavy sativa, am i correct in thinking that it would not be good to mix with a heavy indica strain like chronic?

Nope, infact that would be the first first cross I would go for, although any of them should give a very nice result. Do some reading on the subject of breeding and plant selection would be a good start IMO.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay off base...

WARNING / DISCLAIMER This site contains information regarding cannabis / marijuana & other drugs, it is designed for mature audiences. The content displayed on this site is for entertainment and educational purposes only. This site in no way condones the use of cannabis / marijuana or viewing of this controversial material by minors. Dealing of cannabis / marijuana is strictly prohibited on this site.

:peace:

Would highly recommend searching for dj short articles on breeding, particularly of use are the papers where he describes strains he has created as it can put things into perspective when trying to get your head around it.

Different people have different standards for what they consider breeding, the more picky and anal you are about quality and attention to detail relative to your goals, the better breeder you will be IMO.

It's a field you can go down many roads depending on what you want, from fully stable individuals to a whole mix bag of anything goes.

Thanks for pointing that out to me guys. I dont really think its that hard to produce high-quality seeds, i have a theory that as long as you pick the fastest growing seeds out of the bunch, and do everything perfectly to the best of your ability, you will always(well maybe not always) get good quality seeds. What do you guys think?

:unsure:

well sort of killerchild, but you are sort of missing the point; as said read the articles and understand what it is to breed and after that re-read it because even when we think we understand things most of the time we really don't fully get it, but again the individual itself will choose what standard they consider breeding.

fastest growing is only a single trait, if you simply choose that you will miss the opportunity to go down other paths and other potentials which may be more desireable. Some of the best plants may be small, low yield with huge flowering times, it depends what you are after.

Most people with the modern growing mentality probably would have thrown out the stock that DJ worked with, for example most people just want fast and heavy bud, if DJ went for this we wouldn't have the high quality strains he created nor the spin off breeding projects from his stabilised strains.

Yes you can get good results via the method you are talking about, but they would be vastly different than a strict high standard breeding program; One very important factor to take into account is what genetics your parent plants are made up of (at what stage they are at i.e. are they point of origin land race, f2's, f3's etc, how stable and different they are from one another.

this is rushed, gotta go...

well sort of killerchild, but you are sort of missing the point; as said read the articles and understand what it is to breed and after that re-read it because even when we think we understand things most of the time we really don't fully get it, but again the individual itself will choose what standard they consider breeding.

fastest growing is only a single trait, if you simply choose that you will miss the opportunity to go down other paths and other potentials which may be more desireable. Some of the best plants may be small, low yield with huge flowering times, it depends what you are after.

Most people with the modern growing mentality probably would have thrown out the stock that DJ worked with, for example most people just want fast and heavy bud, if DJ went for this we wouldn't have the high quality strains he created nor the spin off breeding projects from his stabilised strains.

Yes you can get good results via the method you are talking about, but they would be vastly different than a strict high standard breeding program; One very important factor to take into account is what genetics your parent plants are made up of (at what stage they are at i.e. are they point of origin land race, f2's, f3's etc, how stable and different they are from one another.

this is rushed, gotta go...

Yes i understand what your saying smithy, but at the same time, these high grade seeds have already been refined up to that point by master breeders, so basically i think that if you are smart, pick the right strains that suit the type of growing that you want to do, along with the high, really how can you go wrong? In the end you will be almost guaranteed to have good bud/smoke.

From my understanding of that article, the breeder was hardly ever working with high grade strains at the beginning of his production, but he ended up 'creating' a high quality strain from selective breeding. Wheras we can safely say that we already have 2 high quality strains? What do you think?

Also, the writer of the article doesnt really explain very well what "point of origin land race" means, or maybe im just stupid. Can someone please explain it to me a little more thoroughly?

Also, the writer of the article doesnt really explain very well what "point of origin land race" means, or maybe im just stupid. Can someone please explain it to me a little more thoroughly?

yea well who knows what the writer meant but its simple .. point of origin - where the strain was developed to define what the farmer wanted in the local strain, most strains have been developed by mans' selection at some stage , how many are still true land races is another Q ... true land race has particular properties or characteristics yet its still dynamic within the strain having variables within the line .. some are considered early maturing and some late, each has adapted to particular soil types according to the traditional peasant farming practices and adapted to the local climate and seasons, in large part the gene pool has been influenced by mans selection ...

african sativa is a landrace of africa , huge great stretchy sativas are native in Thialand, short dumpy Indicas are found on the slopes of the Hindu Kush mountains in Afghanistan, Afghani is a landrace

does that make sense ?