are these nutrients shit?...advice please..

hey all, not sure if this is a nutrient problem as such but i do have a query amount my nutrients and was hoping for your expert opinions.

i am new to growing so i really know fuck all about nutrients except that they have to be there...:bongon:

i have been using my local hydro shops own brand of nutrient, he claims its basically the same as more expensive brands, but then he would say that.. ive also been trying to look online for info on what ingredients and the quantities are in the nutrients but there doesnt seem to be much. the only 1 that i could find that listed anything was dutch master and they only mentioned 3 ingredients..

so i thought if i put a list on here of what it says on the nutrient bottle i have is in it and the listed quantity, maybe some1 could tell me if basically its a shithouse nutrient or if its alright. it is a 2 part nutrient. the label is worn in a few spots and hard to make out but im pretty sure this is wat it says....so here`s whats in it:

NITROGEN...11.6%

POTASSIUM...13.3%

PHOSPHORUS...1.25%

CALCIUM....5.5%

MAGNESIUM....2.2%

ZINC....0.007%

next 2 are worn on label and hard to read but it appears to say

SULPHUR....2.3%

IRON.....0.28%

MANGANESE....0.066%

BOLOR....0.018%

COPPER....0.0027%

MOLYBDENUM....0.0016%

It says on the bottle to mix 5ml/litre or 1 ml less or more for lighter or heavier crops...

so can any1 tell me if this is a good nutrient or is it shit???? if so what other nutrients would y`all recommend?? ive seen plenty of expensive looking ads for dutch master but after reading on here i get the impression its no where near as good as it claims to be and not worth the xtra cash you pay for it.. the medium im growing in at the moment is perlite but i am setting up a new system and will be replacing medium with coco.. thanks guys , any advice would be greatly appreciated... :nono:

Edited by bbud666

heya bbud welcome here :blink: ... mate that table analaysis seems ok except the phosperous is low , it would be a ok formula for growth period as main thing is nitrogen in growth ... but in flowering phase potassium and phospherous are more important ...

nevertheless i wouldnt hesitate to use it on my babes , cause plants will soon enuf show any deficientcies in the growth pattern and health of the leaves ...

major 3 elements for healthy growth are NPK ... nitrogen, phospherous and potassium ok ... then come the minor or macro elements also needed for healthy growth but in little amounts ..

... calcium, sulfur, magnesium, boron, chlorine, iron, copper, zinc, molybendium and manganese ... i think thats all B)

well its all my stoned brain can think of now :huh:

tell us how do ya plants look? .. got any pics :D

:wave:

hey look here what agriculture site turned up ... handy reference hey ... read an learn :blink:

Macronutrients

Nitrogen (N)

* Nitrogen is a part of all living cells and is a necessary part of all proteins, enzymes and metabolic processes involved in the synthesis and transfer of energy.

* Nitrogen is a part of chlorophyll, the green pigment of the plant that is responsible for photosynthesis.

* Helps plants with rapid growth, increasing seed and fruit production and improving the quality of leaf and forage crops.

* Nitrogen often comes from fertilizer application and from the air (legumes get their N from the atmosphere, water or rainfall contributes very little nitrogen)

Phosphorus (P)

* Like nitrogen, phosphorus (P) is an essential part of the process of photosynthesis.

* Involved in the formation of all oils, sugars, starches, etc.

* Helps with the transformation of solar energy into chemical energy; proper plant maturation; withstanding stress.

* Effects rapid growth.

* Encourages blooming and root growth.

* Phosphorus often comes from fertilizer, bone meal, and superphosphate.

Potassium (K)

* Potassium is absorbed by plants in larger amounts than any other mineral element except nitrogen and, in some cases, calcium.

* Helps in the building of protein, photosynthesis, fruit quality and reduction of diseases.

* Potassium is supplied to plants by soil minerals, organic materials, and fertilizer.

Calcium (Ca)

* Calcium, an essential part of plant cell wall structure, provides for normal transport and retention of other elements as well as strength in the plant. It is also thought to counteract the effect of alkali salts and organic acids within a plant.

* Sources of calcium are dolomitic lime, gypsum, and superphosphate.

Magnesium (Mg)

* Magnesium is part of the chlorophyll in all green plants and essential for photosynthesis. It also helps activate many plant enzymes needed for growth.

* Soil minerals, organic material, fertilizers, and dolomitic limestone are sources of magnesium for plants.

Sulfur (S)

* Essential plant food for production of protein.

* Promotes activity and development of enzymes and vitamins.

* Helps in chlorophyll formation.

* Improves root growth and seed production.

* Helps with vigorous plant growth and resistance to cold.

* Sulfur may be supplied to the soil from rainwater. It is also added in some fertilizers as an impurity, especially the lower grade fertilizers. The use of gypsum also increases soil sulfur levels.

Go to the top of the page

Micronutrients

Boron (:D

* Helps in the use of nutrients and regulates other nutrients.

* Aids production of sugar and carbohydrates.

* Essential for seed and fruit development.

* Sources of boron are organic matter and borax

Copper (Cu)

* Important for reproductive growth.

* Aids in root metabolism and helps in the utilization of proteins.

Chloride (Cl)

* Aids plant metabolism.

* Chloride is found in the soil.

Iron (Fe)

* Essential for formation of chlorophyll.

* Sources of iron are the soil, iron sulfate, iron chelate.

Manganese (Mn)

* Functions with enzyme systems involved in breakdown of carbohydrates, and nitrogen metabolism.

* Soil is a source of manganese.

Molybdenum (Mo)

* Helps in the use of nitrogen

* Soil is a source of molybdenum.

Zinc (Zn)

* Essential for the transformation of carbohydrates.

* Regulates consumption of sugars.

* Part of the enzyme systems which regulate plant growth.

* Sources of zinc are soil, zinc oxide, zinc sulfate, zinc chelate.

:wave:

hmmmm, someone recently suggested they put milk powder in their soil mix.

Frazz mentions above:

* Potassium is absorbed by plants in larger amounts than any other mineral element except nitrogen and, in some cases, calcium.

maybe it's not such a strange idea after all.

Does any _know_ what our calcium requirement is? Off course, a more common source would be blood and bone.