Should I be worried?

u4r1k

Hey

I've just started my first DWC grow the link is in my signature.

I just realised the tips on the first set of leaves are browning and dying! Surely its not time for them to die just yet???

Also the seedling with the protruding root is drooping I think I may have over watered it (Ill have to stop top-feeding this one cos it obviously doesnt need it!)

...Or is it normal for a plant to be a bit droopy while it acclimatises to DWC, this seedling has about 25-30mm of root in the nutrient.

post-33524-1254195635_thumb.jpg

However it is only the new set of leaves which are drooping the first set are still horizontal but have a small amount of browning on the tips

post-33524-1254195705_thumb.jpg

This one has a small amount of browning on the tips and a little bit along one edge of the first leaves. (These first leaves were a little bit yellow even before I put them into DWC)

As for the brown tips I've done a search and this is what I came up with:

1. The concentration of the new nutrients may be a bit too high at 12-13CF. (Next time I wont add so much Superthrive!!)

But if this is the case it shouldnt get any worse because I will be topping up with straight pH corrected tap-water which will bring the CF down over time?

Is this right? Or should I water it down a bit?

2. Leaving the seedlings in the humidity crib for so long might have caused the leaves to stay wet for long periods?

3. All the formula I have been squirting through the hydroton has left a build up of salts on them which has reached toxic levels?

4. Or I just had them way too close to the fluoro in the propagation area and the browning is from light burn.

5. The temps frequently are around 30 C and the browning is from heat stress.

....Or I am stressing about nothing and they will sort themselves out?

Should I add some H2O2 as a precaution in case of disease?

Any ideas ......Anyone?

U4R1K

Ahh cool I thought so ;)

I added 1ml of Superthrive to 11 L ...should have been more like 10-15 drops I think ;)

...But yeah as you said its not that big a deal probably just got a shock going from 7 CF straight up to 13!!

BTW: How often should I check my ppm and pH in this small res?

Cheers for your replies ;)

U4R1K lol

I have a 40ltr recirculating system and they tell you check it at the same time every day (i.e 6pm every day). You will find, as I do, that it changes very little in a 24hr period.

Cheers Flatcat

I just checked on them the tips of the first leaves were dead and completely brown so I checked the CF and it had crept up to 14 CF so I diluited the nutrient by taking out about 2 L and replacing with 2 L of 5.5 pH tap-water the pH had risen to around 6 or just over so I brought that back down aswell. Then I rechecked the ppm it had come down to around 12 CF which I reckon should be ok??

Thanks mate

U4R1K

I have a 40ltr recirculating system and they tell you check it at the same time every day (i.e 6pm every day). You will find, as I do, that it changes very little in a 24hr period.

Cheers Flatcat

I just checked on them the tips of the first leaves were dead and completely brown so I checked the CF and it had crept up to 14 CF so I diluited the nutrient by taking out about 2 L and replacing with 2 L of 5.5 pH tap-water the pH had risen to around 6 or just over so I brought that back down aswell. Then I rechecked the ppm it had come down to around 12 CF which I reckon should be ok??

Thanks mate

U4R1K

I am not sure about seedlings but with cuttings I initially start them on 1/4 strength (i.e if your solution recommends 1600-2000cf I normally start at around 500-700cf......and increase as the plant get's bigger).

It won't matter much if your cf is a little on the low side.............as many peeps have quoted in here it takes a while for plants to exhibit mineral deficiencies.....but much they will tell you if they have too much!!!!

Oh ok

So you reckon I should bring it down further maybe to around 9 CF?

..Or will they be ok now and sort themselves out?

Personally.......I thinking dropping down would go......how low for seedlings I don't know. I think if it was me I would be happy with that. PH can be from my solution 5.5-6.5 and I run at 6.0.

When I first started growing it was under a light that had been stolen from a park. Every time I went out upon my return I expected to see the flashing lights of the local FB dousing my rented unit.......... I also (wisely) used piss and water 'cause I read in a hydro mag that you could use it in emergencies........