how do i condition the soil?

hey guys, i have the location set out.. now i don't know about how to prep the soil?

it's a coastal location and has alot of native trees and shrubs around. there is access to water, i'll need to sort something out tho. i just want to find a good product for soil conditioning or is there a slow release fertiliser that does well? maybe a liquid fertiliser? i've no idea. flower power maybe bunnings product? thanks guys.

:D

G'day Bullseye,

Obviously there are heaps of natural things that will improve soil conditiong ... I probably know more about clay than coastal sandy soils which I presume is what your dealing with ...

The sandy loam is a half decent soil to work imo aslong it's not ultra-coastal salty sand in which case I've never tried with that ...

Plenty of Organic matter is obviously the go ...

The sandy soild already have decent drainage capabilities ... and as long as it's not overly salted should be easily conditioned with good amounts of varying organic matter ...

Well rotted Compost , Manure , Blood n Bone etc is the go as far as i see it ... Bury it deep into the hole and fill the rest with a mix of the original soil and just a premium poting mix? ( like to add creeksand to most mediums personally if I have it , helps drain the more "cluggy" composts and manures)

For a commercially bought organic Plant Food this is worth considering ...

post-8241-1254044437_thumb.jpg

Searles 5 in 1 ... Contains varied manures , Seaweed extracts , Blood n Bone , Zeolites and Essential Trace Nutrients ... All Organic Certified ...

All in all , It seems a pretty good mix ... just got to learn the right ratios (follow the directions or use common sense to start) lol

Put that mixed with some soil at the bottom of the grow hole and preferably rest a week or two (not necesarily) .. but the time the plant is big/mature enough it will enjoy those more potent conditions below ... also chuck in a few handfulls in with the soil mix when filling in the top 1/2 of the hole ... more "plantfood" and compost can be added to the top soil after and be watered in ;)

If your soil is really poor , mix some original soil/sand/clay with the similar ingredients (don't over do-it) ... to fill the holes if your going to have to compensate for a many Holes/Pots/or Garden space :) ...

Use a cheap but decent potting mix , again Searles have decent ones in most related shops ...

post-8241-1254046163_thumb.jpg - They've a seemingly better/different premium mix specifically for Vegetables ... I got some and it is noticably different mix , still to early for comparisons ...

Because I will be using some commercial mixes such as these this season due to no natural and fertile soils easily handy ... but I've alwyas personally thought that the infusion of these composts to the generic average soil has an excellent and quickly noticed advantage of "regulating" the original surrounding soil ... ;)

Woah , i'm quite toasted I've jsut realized ... Here's hoping that ws somehow helpful and not overly fraught with syntax error ;)

It's mostly agreed apon that preparing and then RESTING the garden (Or Grow-Hole) is a good practice ... but I personally think that it's easy to start by just digging up the garden ... using a pot-mix and Plantfood/additives in small amounts surrounding the "transplant" and eventually the plant adapts to the conditions of the clay or the sand and slowly condition of the soil medium will make the surrounding Earth become fertile as the grow progresses :D

Well , I'm quite sure I've rambled on enough .. I probably didn't pint out anything that isn't common knoweledge ... but I am interested to see what other suggestions there are and what you eventuate in doing yourself :D

Cheerz and Happy Growing to ya ;)

Budman :toke:

P.s : Edit: Here's some of the Searles range ... they look to have a new organic mix :) (The premiums aren't 100% Organic with the slow release fertz etc but they do the job) ...

Searles - Potting Mixes

Searles - Soilmixes and Composts

Searles - Complete Organic Range

I only advocate using this product as a satisfied user myself , with limited experience ...

They are an Australian Company and seem to have a well received range of products ...

In No way am I a representative of Searles Company ... I just purchase some of their products with satisfaction ;)

ANd I recommend them for an economically friendly substitue for true small scale farming :doh:

Dismiss at leisure and Fire up at Will ;)

Cheerz,

Budman :toke:

thanks guys=) just trying to research a bit before attempting my first outdoor grow. looks like the patch needs regualr water ey.. i thought it might survive by itself:(

need plenty of rainfall for that. i guess you just have to pick an ideal spot.. i just don't want to draw too much attention in constantly going and visiting it. any ways better to avoid this unwanted attention? Searles looks good hey.. i've been recommended that before! i think i'll go with that

thanks guys=) just trying to research a bit before attempting my first outdoor grow. looks like the patch needs regualr water ey.. i thought it might survive by itself:(

need plenty of rainfall for that. i guess you just have to pick an ideal spot.. i just don't want to draw too much attention in constantly going and visiting it. any ways better to avoid this unwanted attention? Searles looks good hey.. i've been recommended that before! i think i'll go with that

I found some pig shit in worm castings at the local nursery, if you can find anything with worm castings buy it and mix it in with whatever else you use, plenty of nutrients in it to last a while before you have to start using liquid nutes. :peace: and good growing.

ps I have very heavy clay soil in my back yard and I just dig a fking big hole and throw in some perlite at the bottom and then the worm castings mixed with the potting mix.