Time to sample? Opinions please!

As expected, my aerogarden doesn't seem to be fantastic with yield. Don't particularly care about that, It's enough for a homegrown smoke. Anyway, I was looking at a lot of guides to find out what I should look for with harvesting, and I get a lot of conflicting websites. Some talk about red hairs (50 or 90% turned), others about amber trichomes (shame I don't have a magnifying glass) and one random site is telling me the milky white hairs are an indication of maturity.

To hell with them, you guys are never wrong. I'd like to sample my bud, so if you can let me know which one would be best to go then let me know. Otherwise, how far along do you think I am with flowering? How much longer should I give her?

post-33164-1252987278_thumb.jpg

post-33164-1252987355_thumb.jpg

post-33164-1252987700_thumb.jpg

post-33164-1252987942_thumb.jpg

From the looks of those buds u still have a lil way to go before they ready to harvest.

If you want to try some of try and take some of the buds from the lower part of the plant, but over do it as it will stunt the growth of the plant for a day or 2 until it gets over the stress of being taxed.

Diff ppl have diff way of when tellin when to harvest for it is when 70-80% of the hairs turn amber or red...

They are a long way from being ready. I think taking a sample now would be a waste of time unless you're out of pot. three weeks to go at least, possibly much longer.

Some talk about red hairs (50 or 90% turned), others about amber trichomes (shame I don't have a magnifying glass) and one random site is telling me the milky white hairs are an indication of maturity.

Ignore the hairs, every variety is different. Get a magnifying glass. It depends on what kind of high you want as to when you harvest. Typically the longer you leave it the more couch lock the high. Trichomes start clear, then turn milky, then amber. My personal preference (depending on variety) is to have maybe 20% amber. Each to their own.

btw this is in the international news section. :scratchin:

seen

shame I don't have a magnifying glass

:scratchin:

you dont need that

just

take some high quality close up pix of the budz

then load them iinto your pc and zoom right in pon the cyrstals

look for little yellow or amber balls pon top

there is not one to be seen in those pix you posted

i would say they need 4ks more befor you will see nuff

take some pix a couple a times a week

IMHO

harvest next full moon 4th Oct

at least 4wks to go yet

maybe even the new moon after the next full moon

best not to sample

if you can resist

theres a reward for you

irey guidance

Possibly a moderator should move this to a more appropriate area?

and unless you have exceptional eyesight a magnifying glass is of little value in trichome assesment. HOWEVER, I ordered a 60-100X LED microscope (originally pointed out to someone else by Madam Pandora) off ebay a few days ago, hasn't arrived from China yet but at $14 delivered I was thinking of buying several in case they break.

NOTE though that I have since seen it suggested that 60X (the minimum mine will do) is possibly a bit high. Ebay also have similar units with max 80X (or thereabouts) for similar cost, though in general slightly higher. It should arrive shortly and I have some trichs needing inspection, gonna even try to snap through it to the camera in m' phone.

10x is fine

you get them from the chemest shop

ask for a 10 times maganifing glass

they cost bout $20

i have 1

but i use my cammarra most

it is easy to zoom in on the pix for a thorour inspection

yes you can even tape the maganifing glass to the cammera

it will work

i have done that too

but again over kill

most image editors will deal with it

irey guidance

the 4Mp camera in my phone allows close enough inspection to see there are trichs but not enough for discriminating clear/cloudy/amber, wish the old IXUS wasn't stuffed 'coz though it is also 4Mp the better optics allowed greater detail.

Not sure of the strength of the magnifying glass but a 100mm 'reading magnifier' doesn't allow me to distinguish such either. I have reading glasses and probably need to renew my prescription, ~2yrs ago one eye is 'half a step' from normal while the other is a full step.

Choices:

$20 for a 10X glass and hope you have good eyes.

<$20 for something capable of 30-60X.

I've already made my choice.

the best way to test sample for quality<--------- if you must

is with that 900mm kidz magnafing glass and a straw

:scratchin:

cystal by crystal

:blink:

gotta love dat

be aware

every crystal you smoke will not grow back

the damage is irrepairable

so dont damabe the growing tips ever

and not too much or you will stunt your plant

which will dramiticly reduce your yeild

is it worth it??????????

as long as you stay within the limmits or the point of deminishing returns

irey guidance

:peace:

Hahah! , that's a great and fascinating idea Radic ... Nice one :scratchin:

I've not seen that one done before :toke: ... Won't work outside on a windy day tho I'm guessing ... heheh.

And G'day Wakenbake,

Good to see some resinous little budz in that contraption ... as has been said ... a few more weeks yet by the looks ...

If your desperate you could have a sample anytime (Also as suggested , I'd sample the smaller/crappier bud at the bottom if I had to (it won't bulk up much anyway :sly:)

I can see the resin , so no doubt it would have an effect ... but give it more time and you'll have a better and more potent smoko obviously. No Worries. :blink:

Careful with the Nutes ... and don't forget to flush :peace:

Good luck with the rest :peace:

Cheerz,

Budman :peace:

Cheers for the quick replies guys, I think I'll beg off sampling for now. Mate is bringing a fresh baggie around

Ill get a magnifying glass tomorrow, but this picture zoom idea is sweet Radic, thanks for that.

As for the topic... I have no idea why I'm here. I'm worried I accidentally clicked "new topic" while reading something instead of starting fresh.

Thanks for the quick replies again, I had a mate come round and tell me I should be harvesting in a day or two. Remind me to smack him.