clone experiment

After reading a couple of threads I thought I might do some mucking around with cloning

3 containers 3ml clonex purple (Yates 3g/L indole-3 butyric acid)

3ml unsulfered molasses

gelatin & water

3ml seaweed extract

gelatin & water

the one in the photos were done on the bench but the real one i did in a home built clean box

I built with a cheap 60L storage box. I cut a top out of the lid and glued in a sheet pf perspex.

for the hand holes i cut out a hole and glued in some rubber kitchen gloves

with the hands chopped of so i could slide my hands in with surgery gloves.

all the equiptment was washed with h2o2 50% then rinsed with alcahol

1 of each will be put in 24 hour light

1 of each will be put in 12 hour light on 12 hours light off

1 of each will be put in 24 hour light off

post-32832-1251794583_thumb.jpg

post-32832-1251794670_thumb.jpg

post-32832-1251794832_thumb.jpg

the purple blob in the jar is the clone gel before mixing

post-32832-1251794950_thumb.jpg

all of the clones will be from the centre piece of each stem and the same plant

post-32832-1251795073_thumb.jpg

post-32832-1251795180_thumb.jpg

post-32832-1251795293_thumb.jpg

Edited by 000patto000

if the stick in pic4 is what you intend putting in the ground I disagree with your approach.

Clones should be cut in a manner allowing no less than 2 growth nodes below soil level.

I would additionally like at least one growth node above soil level but trimmed back and expected not to produce anything.

I want at least 2, and probably a maximum of 4, nodes above soil level (not including the one/two I do not expect to grow).

Myself. I'm looking at breaking an old habit of cutting off 50% of established leaf. The recent cuttings I took and did not remove 50% from appear to be doing OK, a few days in.

But then, I get a high strike rate from simply shoving sticks into dirt, dirty razor to cut, no cloning compound, spit a bit of water on 'em when I think to do so.

I used to do clones in rockwool using rooting powder, 90%+ strike rate. Which, when you're making 120 clones at a time, sortta gets you acclimatised to losing a few.

OK, paradigm shift. I thought it was the stick below that you planned on planting.

I cut tips that big, actually bigger, off my clones.

There's a reasonable basis for success though.

I'm actually looking at cloning as best I can. In the past I cloned from mature plants soon before putting to flower. My current plan is 'perpetual harvest' and this is forcing me to clone from less mature plants.

In fact, it ain't so much about 'less mature' as it is about 'bulk', and the resources available to the cutting during the period before roots develop. I'm trying to both raise smaller plants but also take bigger clones, bit of a conundrum. Larger, and probably 'more woody', cuttings have more reserve in the stalk than tiny little things, and are more resilient before getting roots.

I found leaving one of the larger leaves at the top node too be good, as an indicator of how the clone is fairing as well as too hold some water/nutes too keep em alive... from what i remember reading the leaves can hold enough nutes too last like 2 days or something. so keep that in mind, I like too cut the majority of the main leaves off bu leave the top couple. Ill post some pics of my ones that have taken in my grow diary later so you get a rough idea, and ima be doing some bigger ones today.

But yeah i think that you want too cut back SOME of the foliage mainly the huge arse leaves but at least leave a few decent sized ones. once they start livening back up and growing you can expect too see some roots a few days later. (if you use plastic cups like me, cheap and easy, although light suposedly damages the roots i like too see how they are developing whilst its young, if its an issue you can always spraypaint the cups or tape them up )