Study Says It's Easier For Teens To Buy Marijuana Than Beer

August 27, 2009

By Ty Brennan

A recent study by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University has some startling results about teens and drugs.

In their study, they found that 40 percent of teens could get marijuana within a day; another quarter said they could get it within an hour. In another portion of the survey, teens between the ages of 12 and 17 say it's easier to get marijuana than buy cigarettes, beer or prescription drugs. That number is up 37 percent from 2007.

But, local law enforcement says these numbers don't match up to what's happening here in east Idaho.

Kim Ellis, Pocatello Police department: "That's something that we're seeing here, but as far as what we're seeing the statistics don't bear out, that way, we're seeing a lot more underage consumption citations than marijuana, possession of marijuana."

According the Pocatello Police Department, since the beginning of the year there were 58 alcohol violations with minors younger than 18, while there were only 12 marijuana violations.

Law enforcement credit's this to in school programs like "DARE" and having school resource officers available. For more information about the study: www.casacolumbia.org

Watch the news video at http://www.kpvi.com/global/category.asp?c=...pVideoCatNo=9...

So the police claim the university study is inaccurate...? I dont think they realise how stupid they make themselves out to seem. 58 alcohol violations, maybe since alcohol is worse than marijuana. I'd say the statistics from the university are spot on just the police arent going to catch teenagers using marijuana because unlike alcohol you dont do stupid shit while high. Most of them would be in the privacy of their own home as well. Also the teenagers just said they could get it, not that they smoked it meaning that even if they didnt smoke they would all know someone that did.

I find it difficult when I read that Sulo can obtain what is required within 20 minutes to an hour. I exist in Woy Woy, Central Coast of New South Wales. I know that there is stuff here. I used to be able to get it but then the people I got it from closed up their shop. I know its at various hotels but whenever I go to the hotels no one ever approaches me and I'm not a hotel type person. I guess that I'll have to purchase a T-shirt with appropriate print.

The shame is that I also know people, people that I've helped out on the admittedly odd occasion in the past, people I can't help out currently because I don't know anyone here. And I have tried. The Central Coast is the pits. Ignorant, alcohol fuelled, over-medicated white-trash. If you aim for 15 litres of water in 12 hours you'll probably lose consciousness before you get near the 15 litre target. That's what takes off kids at Dance Parties. It isn't the Ecstasy, its the water. And to be quite honest, the thought has crossed my mind. It doesn't hurt, there's no blood left for someone else to clean up; just some piss and maybe a little watery vomit. Death by misadventure – drank too much water!

Still, revenge is a dish best served cold. Last summer I experimented growing tobacco and learnt a great deal, except how to cure it. Recently I purchased a book outlining curing an finishing techniques. So this summer I'll be organising the best organically grown tobacco for smoking, snuffing and chewing. As the economic depression takes hold there'll be a lot of people desperately hanging out for some legal smoke and I'll smile and basically tell them to go penetrate themselves. Each tobacco plant produces hundreds of seeds – sometimes more. But no one will getting any of them either!

What goes around comes around.

Al.

I grew up in upstate NY, and weed was consistently abundant in high school. People would deal it right out of their locker. Alcohol was a different story. It was hard to find someone with an older brother or sister who would put up with the risk of buying booze for minors. You get ID'd every time you buy alcohol or cigarettes, and they will scan your license to check your age and also keep track of what you buy...