Holland's Hope seedlings stretched and weak looking

Hey folks

I've started my very first grow and after an initial period of excitement I'm worried things aren't going well.

I germinated 10 Holland's Hope seeds one week ago and 7 of them quickly threw their tap roots. Put them in Richgro potting mix in peat pots and into a seedling box on a bed with the electric blanket on and a single low wattage CFL. Things looked good and on day 6 I upped the lighting ante with a 48W CFL on 18/6. Stem growth has been rapid but leaf development is slow and today - day 8 - some seedlings are having trouble staying up.

Tonight I switched to 24/0 and delivered their first hit of nutrients - very weak solution of Seasol Powerfeeder. Conditions in the seedling box are 24.9 deg C and 81% humidity. pH is 6.8.

Any advice or suggestions welcomed.

Images from tonight...

post-17491-1251114986_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251115001_thumb.jpg

Wow they r streatchin for light man.......what kinda light n how far away is it...what ever u have u need more n get it closer to em...also u need a osclayting fan blowing on them 2 strengthen the stems

and sory ask questions ;), replyed before even read what uwrote :yahoo:........more light more light more light

And maybe even put em in different containers n bury em bit more so they can stand

Thanks Wrangler556 and paulshop.

Yeah, I was hoping I could get the seedlings going under CFL until they were established enough to go outside in bigger pots - I'm not setup for an indoor grow - The Man in South Oz has made me nervous of doing anything more than a single plant outdoors ;)

The 48W CFL is in a flood lamp and about 4 or 5 inches from the tops. I could get it a little closer. I could get it closer still - almost touching - if I remove the clear plastic lid.

Unfortunately it's way too wintery here to put the little blighters outside just yet and the seven-day forecast says that isn't changing soon. The woes of primary producers eh? :yahoo:

Appreciate the advice. Will get that light as close as poss, pop a fan in and see how they fare.

Cheers.

ireyness

Conditions in the seedling box are 24.9 deg C and 81% humidity. pH is 6.8

get the light closer

and repot

great advice

Tonight I delivered their first hit of nutrients - very weak solution of Seasol Powerfeeder.

stop

no fertz yet

flush dem out

they will only stretch more

strictly water for the next week

seen

irey guidance

Thanks Radic - no more nutes for a week - got it.

Well, the rescue plan got into swing today. I went to the local hydro shop and bought a lighting kit - 600 HPS. Just finished putting it all together and repotted the seedlings by placing the peat pots directly into larger pots and backfilling with the same Richgro potting mix. Have had to rig a makeshift support for the light. See photos...

Fingers-crossed my babies will bounce back - all thanks to this terrific community. You guys rock! :bongon:

post-17491-1251201227_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251201308_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251201325_thumb.jpg

What I woulds do to rescue them is re-pot up in the same pots immediately(to avoid breaking the stems) burring them down deep

Thanks Nitram - good advice.

24hrs under the 600 watter and in deeper pots and things are on the improve. Here's some pics of the little'uns...

and of some vital stats...

is pH 6.9 too high???

Thanks again.

Namaste

post-17491-1251290849_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251290868_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251290955_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251290969_thumb.jpg

post-17491-1251290978_thumb.jpg