Fan Speed Controler,

Hi I'm new around here and researching a grow room, am I understanding correctly that the purpose of a fan speed controller is to regulate grow room temperature?

Cheers

They just give you the ability to control the speed of the fan.  For stealth reasons you should dial the fan right down and work your way up to the sweet spot for your plants.  Over time you'll have to turn it up in the warmer months and down in the cooler months to maintain that sweet spot for the plants but the real reason for the existence of fan speed controllers is to stop your extraction fan sounding like a jet engine.

• Upvote 1

While I normally LOVE home brew projects, I don't advise 'playing' with electrical items unless one is experienced.

In the long run, it MIGHT be cheap to build your own anything, but what's it going to cost you if there is a malfunction and there's a fire?

I'm not trying to scare anyone, just sharing my point of view. I can't help but be super safety conscious, it's my father's fault. lol

Anyway, we found that we needed a fan speed controller for out first fan n filter set up. I couldn't be stuffed chasing up the parts and putting one together so I bought one from eBay.
Growlush brand, $45 delivered.

Granted, factory made products can fail too, but I sleep a little better knowing if something does go wrong, it's not my fault! hehehe

hi all

I bought a growlush fan speed controller from my hydro shop for $50. I can only get 21-22 when lights on. when I fitted it and turned it on my 8 inch canfan it makes a terrible humming noise even when its backed of 10%. if a bought a variac from jacar would the motor still make that hum??

hi all

I bought a growlush fan speed controller from my hydro shop for $50. I can only get 21-22 when lights on. when I fitted it and turned it on my 8 inch canfan it makes a terrible humming noise even when its backed of 10%. if a bought a variac from jacar would the motor still make that hum??

Probably not. I use a variac and it is perfectly quiet you can dial it down as low as, without any noise though my fan is a s&p. I think a variac is a good investment in stealth, safety and temperature control. Just my 2 cents worth.

• Oz unpinned this topic