Companion planting ..

G`day All .. In my regular garden I use companion planting , plant tomatoes with basil you get much healthier plants & better fruit .. Same with pumpkins & corn .. cabbage with sage ..

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would know if there was a companion herb to use in my other garden ??

Happy Houtch ........ :)

G`day All .. In my regular garden I use companion planting , plant tomatoes with basil you get much healthier plants & better fruit .. Same with pumpkins & corn .. cabbage with sage ..

I was wondering if there was anyone out there who would know if there was a companion herb to use in my other garden ??

Happy Houtch ........ :)

You mention something VERY interesting and I wonder if there's any research going on that subject. :)

Garlic makes a good companion, small root zone and it's got some insect repellant properties. Marigolds have been suggested by others, but I can't see them being very effective, as well as using up space and nutes, you have to wait until they flower for any kind of effect on insects. Even then, it's not a cure, more like a discourager. I would imagine that if you're growing outside, a good green manure or lupin (beans, peas, they fix nitrogen in the soil with the aid of nematodes.) crop, not grown with but over the winter period before spring planting, and then dug in before planting would be a great boost to the young plants. Of course, it would be a lot easier to simply use a good fert, but I thought I'd mention it.

I'm not sure what else might go well, but it would probably have to be a small plant with minimal light needs, as we all know that our favourite green herb quickly monopolises indoor lighting....

Anyone else done any companion planting? In or outdoors? :) That was a very good question there houtch.

Garlic sounds good, Garlic chives are excellent, in fact often have many culinary herbs around the plants, have noticed that the ones near Garlic chives consistantly have less bugs and bug damage. Legumes are good around the plant, just good for the soil in general.

It might be worth trying rue, I have heard that among other things it increases the potency of other medicinal herbs when used as a companion to them. It is an irritant tho and can cause skin inflamation. The only way to test rue's ability to do this would be with two cuttings in of the same gear in different spots/cupboards, one with rue one without. Same lights nutes mediums etc etc and see if there is any noticeable difference afterward.

Guest Urbanhog

Also noticed that peas/beans shouldn't be growing next to onions, as somehow the peas/beans don't like onions growing next to them, they didnt look healthy, so I grew the onions on other side of my veggie garden and they grew a lot better.

I used to have this really old book written by this wacko old lady but their theroies worked it was called "No-Dig Garden and Plants Companion Guide" or something like that, forgot the full title as the book is still at my father's house in Tassie.

It was written in the late 70's to early 80's, it had a few pages for what plants liked and don't liked growing each other, as they had some interesting pics of plants growing and mixed and the plants that don't like each other, they tired to aviod each other in the ground! it was pretty trippy pictures.

She also showed how to make "No-Dig Veggie Gardens" which in fact, almost all TV gardening/home improvements programs, magazines and books "borrowed" the ideas from that book I mentioned above.

Cheers, Urbanhog :)

G`day All .. I went to Google and put in " companion planting beetroot " & found a wealth of information I then tried other vegetables & any other plant I wanted to grow got good results .........

Good luck all ............ Happy Houtch ... :D