witchetty grubs

while repotting today I came across this mother. I don't mind bugs in m' soil, proves the soil is good. I have more of a problem if the bugs move out (shows shitty soil).

I suspect however that this guy may be a root gobbler, which is pushing a friendship WAY beyond its limits.

anyone know what it is? (sitting in the bottom of a 7oz glass)

TIA

post-33907-1249472725_thumb.jpg

Hi BS, - post-5398-1249473755_thumb.jpg top 'bush-tucka' full of protein - I have bush reciepy if you want ;)

Yes they eat the roots. The plant will remain healthy (some of it) but 1 branch will look unwell - it's the root that is being attacked and eaten.

post-5398-1249474807_thumb.jpg This is a life cycle but for a mozie which is similar to that 'mully-grubs'post-5398-1249475950_thumb.gif

I mistook it when I had a grub for a droop and a water problem. The problem arises as the 'mully grubs' love moisture.

I did the fecker in by using a very diluted dose of "Lawn Grub" poison that i picked up from Bunnings in a very diluted water then let the compost dry out very well. It is from a belate very similar to this one and are common in northern Oz.

If you only found one and have removed it all should be ok as it is the moth that lays the egg(s) in the compost.

Moisture is what it thrives on and to combat the infestation just let the compost dry out till your plant droops. Water/feed small amount for a few water/feeds till it dies.

;)

Nitty.

post-5398-1249474981_thumb.jpg

hmmmm, so my 'calibrated finger' has been letting me down, soil remaining too moist. Is OK, been recalibrating the finger for a few weeks now and have reduced watering already.

Sneaky little buggers are 'root chewers' hey? Sorry Sunshine but though Mother Nature, with a little assist in the lighting dept, looks after me quite well, and I don't mind the odd bug or 2 proving conditions are hospitable, YOU'RE OUTTA HERE!!!

Though he may be good eating I had a steak at lunchtime, he can go back into the garden he came from.