how many years can you clone the same plant for?

Hi to all

If the situation is :

that you take 2 cuttings from a plant

veg those 2 for 5-6 weeks

take 2 cuttings from those (then flower the 6 week old ones)

veg those 2 for 5-6 weeks

take 2 cuttings from those (then flower the 6 week old ones)

How many years can you keep this up for. I have read and heard contradictory statements from everyone

Be good to hear from someone who does this and has a long stint under their belt- if anyone has a link to some

info I would really appreciate it--I can't find a damn thing on google.

Thanks

aussie

Technically forever, but each generation deteriorates the genetics, and they start to lose vigour, potency etc over time.

To get around that, after a certain period, let a male pollinate it, it resfreshes the genetics, use that seed, then go again.

I don't believe they lose anything genetically over time. Should remain just as potent. I've kept clones for as long as 5 years with no loss of potency. The plant died only because of my stupidity.

There was reportedly a blueberry male cutting used by the breeder DJ Short that has only recently died after 20 years.

I don't believe they lose anything genetically over time. Should remain just as potent. I've kept clones for as long as 5 years with no loss of potency. The plant died only because of my stupidity.

There was reportedly a blueberry male cutting used by the breeder DJ Short that has only recently died after 20 years.

You talking about keeping clones as mums? He's talking about constantly cloning from new clones.

hey,

Given that your conditions are good and you dont run into any problems you should be right. The first plant i ever had the pleasure to grow was a 16 years old unknown strain from filial cloning.. That had been passed down from grower to grower.. I grew it for atleast 5 years after and only lost it due to finding the internet and all the other strains available... Never take clones from an inferior looking plant to before and always clone before you put them to flower....Even though id rather run mums meself this might not suit all.... hope that helps some

You talking about keeping clones as mums? He's talking about constantly cloning from new clones.

Sorry I didn't make it clear. My method was to select a mum, take clones, then flower the mum and harvest. The clone then becomes the next mum e.t.c. so yeah constantly renewing clones from clones. I wasn't talking about keeping the same mum for years. I just used the blueberry as an example that you can keep mums for ages.

Sorry I'm not explaining myself well. lol lol

I can`t speak for all strains obviously,but in my experience with mothers and vegging for long periods(years),all the strains that I have had for long periods all experienced some degree of genetic drift in loss of vigour,potency,flavour etc.Right now I`m on the verge of throwing out a Magus strain (Early Biddy)that produced some very,very good smoke,but when revegged and/or just kept in vegging cycle,it craps out and starts to die.Luckily I can just start new seeds,but it was disappointing that I couldn`t keep a mother.This strain isn`t condusive to cloning either,so I just have to start fresh each time.About the only strain that didn`t seem to vary much with age/cloning was a Northern Lights #2 I had a few years back.Unfortunately I lost her.

Peace