Homemade Glass billy

After making the choice to ditch the metal cone and stem in favour of glass (though i still love snapping cones)I spent the weeked making this little gem, i will try my best to give you as detailed instructions as possible.

First i bought the vase from a thrift store for $2 (two fucking dollars haha) and it had some decorative bamboo string stuff on it and smelled like piss, not to mention the spiders nest in the base of it. I cleaned it out with some metho and popcorn kernels and it came up great.

I got the stem and bowl from Bongsn'n'Things for $35 shipped. only took 4 days to get it to my door, and the rubber grommit for $2 at the local baccy shop (a great place to find grommets if there is no head shop around it to go to your local automotive spare parts dealer and ask for rubber grommits with a inside diameter of 15mm (or w/e size down stem your is) and they are usually like 50c to buy) and then using a sharp knife or scalpel jsut cut the inside out.

Now the tedious bit, cutting the hole. My old man had purchased for around $30, a Taurus rotatory drill with 41 drill bits from Aldi. It came wit ha few diamond tipped bits in various shapes and sizes.

*GLASS DUST IS NOT NICE ON THE LUNGS - WEAR A RESPIRATOR OR FACE MASK AND PREFERABLY GLASSES FOR YOUR EYES*

I started out by measuring where about i wanted my stem to be and marked wit ha X where i was to drill the hole, I used the diamond bit that looks like a ball on the end of a regular drill bit (with out the windy bits) to make a small indentation so that the point cone diamon d bit wouldn't slip around, then i slowly over the course of about 10 minutes at a very low speed i made a hole about the same diameter as the bit, i was wiping the glass dust off wit ha wet cloth and using it to keep the glass cool, i gradually moved the diamond bit around it circles making the hole slowly bigger

All the drilling took around and hour in total (patience is the key)

when i got it to the size that the grommit would slip in nicely i tried pushing the stem through, if it still too tight but the grommit fits, then take off about another 1mm and it should be perfect. The grommit it hard to insert but not impossible, when removing it be careful not the use anything sharp near it or your may split it ( as i did :) )

a good wash with some warm water and a hose and its good to go :bongon:

if you got any questions just ask away !

keep on puffin' !

post-35074-1248767000_thumb.jpg

post-35074-1248767022_thumb.jpg

Edited by stoney clover