Seed colour and low maintenance grows...

Hi there everyone, just a couple of questions about starting up my first plants...

First of all, I have 20 or more seeds all found in the bottom of baggies... should I have any problem with these age wise? Also, although the bud has been all the same strain, they seem to be about 50/50 small neat and green or big bulbous and dark brown-black, with just a few mid way between. Which ones will produce the better plant?

Secondly, there are times when I can be away from home for up to 5 days, what is the best method for growing in these circumstances? I'm also on a VERY low budget so is it possible to do with almost nonexistent funds? I'm not looking for a heroic crop, just enough for personal and a bit to help a mate out now and then ;)

;)

G'day Pet0r,

With those seeds mate you'll want to use those big dark bulbous ones aye ;)

The small pale ones (creamy whitish grey , sometimes tinted green also) are immature seeds :)

Now , some slightly immature seeds will crack ... but personally I never bother these days as most are no good ...

There is a pretty simple (but crude) test to see if the seed is viable , squeeze the seed firmly between thumb and forefinger ...

You'll find the immature and dud seeds will crush quite easily ... you should try this with one of the smallest immature ones to see what I mean , then apply the same amount of pressure to the big dark mature seed an It won't crush ;) you have to press at least twice as hard ... trust me :peace: heheh

Not really necessary , but something to note ;)

You could just plant them all and see what happens :D

Anyhoo , If they are all from the same strain .. then the plants that grow from them will mostly have those similar characteristics ;) I won't get into that yet , you got a bit of reading to do no doubt :D

Cheap? ... Well , the only way I know that is kinda cheap is the good old Pots/Buckets , Potting mix (or any decent soil) handwatered ... with some pot trays (or any other type of resevoir) you could top them up with water and leave them a few days no worries.

If not outside in the ground then Cheapest would be buckets , like $1 buckets (drill holes in bottom) ... , I'd go "Searles" Premium Potting mix (well under $20 for even a huge 60l bag)(organic one good too) , a non-premium mix is Not worth the money imo and ... well , just that and Water would grow ya some plants , just ;) but you know ... you could grab a few other things here and there when ya got the cash.

It's a start , and It's quick and simple to get going ;)

Oh yeah ... I should ask ... Are you planning on growing outside? or in? .. and what type of space is it? ... no worries :)

Rightio , I've rambled on long enough ;)

Cheerz and good luck ... Do some more reading on the basics before you start ... Fell Free to ask Questions ... and let us know how it goes ;)

Budman lol

In my experience the larger seeds will give a stronger, bigger plant and as Budman says - some are mature and some aren't

I agree that the cheapest way for you to grow is with a high grade potting mix and sunlight, just remember that MaryJane likes good drainage so maybe throw in some perlite

You should start a grow diary too to get help from everyone

Good luck,

Jimbo ;)